Black Student Union Unites to Make a Difference

In+honor+of+black+history+month%2C+Ms.+Williams+hung+up+black+historical+figures+in+her+classroom+to+bring+awareness.+
Jade Huynh
In honor of black history month, Ms. Williams hung up black historical figures in her classroom to bring awareness.

The Black Student Union, also known as BSU, was first established in 1966 at San Francisco State University and created in hopes of  advocating for equality. Students then were greatly influenced by the Civil Rights Movement led by Martin Luther King Jr. Today, BSU is a widely recognized club on campuses all over the world  for students of color and serves as a platform where students can voice their opinions.

Started by senior Elena Reynolds and advised by Allison Williams, Sage Creek’s BSU was created because of a lack of black representation on campus. When inquired, both Reynolds and Williams shared the same thoughts on why BSU was created and a little more.

“I’m in AVID and there were a lot of opportunities and programs for Latinos, and I noticed that there weren’t that many black students. So I thought ‘Oh, why don’t I make a club specifically for that purpose,’” Reynolds shared as she was taping up plastic sheets with black historical figures to the wall.

These pages contained information on African Americans who have impacted the black community like Ella Fitzgerald, who was coined the “Queen of Jazz,” and author Richard Wright, who discussed racial themes in his writing and was considered controversial at the time. Teachers at Sage Creek were emailed and asked if they would like a list of black historical figures hang up on their walls. Many took up to opportunity to do so.

Biomedical sciences teacher Valerie Park took the liberty to put one figure in each table group and rotate the slips everyday so her students could read a new one everyday.

“The goal for pasting these figures all over the school was to spread awareness and to celebrate the black community, to recognize their accomplishments…”

The goal for pasting these figures all over the school was to spread awareness and to celebrate the black community, to recognize their accomplishments. BSU also wanted to bring attention to their club by pasting their logo on the pages so students as well as staff are aware of their presence.

WIlliams shared her thoughts on the club itself.

“I’m happy [BSU] is here and I’m proud of Elena for starting it. I would also like to see us be a place of refuge and support for students of color here on campus that may not always feel like they fit in. Supporting students with academic success, getting involved in the community, and celebrating the black culture and community.”

Both envision the club being doing more than educating students on the black community; they want to extend it into being a sanctuary, a place where students can connect to one another. They both also hope to provide scholarship information and community service hours so students don’t struggle finding those on their own. Reynolds commented that they also try to help out the community by holding clothes drives by partnering up with local charities.

Senior Victoria Ramirez shared her similar thoughts on the topic.

“I like BSU because it provides a space that is diverse and very uplifting for the black community and its allies.”

Reynolds hopes that more people are aware that this club is not exclusive and that people of different backgrounds are invited to meet. Reynolds’s goal for the end of the year is to ensure that students are informed that BSU is a club where you’re welcome to join anytime of the year and going to every meeting isn’t mandatory.

Reynolds wants students to keep in mind that BSU is, “a place for the growing black community of students at Sage Creek. It’s for awareness, cultural, or a even a place where you can comfortably hang out.”

BSU meets bi-weekly on Wednesdays in Williams’s classroom, 3302.