Bobsquad and Winter Sports Persevere through Hoopcoming

Paige Zepeda

Last Friday, Sage Creek celebrated its annual Hoopcoming events. All varsity sports were at home, against LCC, except for girls soccer.

To kick off the night, girls basketball had a game at 5:30 p.m. Girls started off slow with the first quarter ending in a 14-6 lead by LCC. The game was dominated by LCC’s offense. Girl’s finished with a scored of 57-23 in favor of LCC. Meanwhile, on the field, boys varsity soccer played.

After the girls played, the boys transitioned onto the court. Sage fans lined the stands. The boys looked to bounce back after losing to Torrey Pines last wednesday. Coming into the game senior, Brett Crawford felt “confident.” In the second quarter, Sonck treated the fans to a spectacular dunk.

Christopher Kathman
Sonck lays down a three pointer for the Bobcats.

“It felt good to throw that dunk in a game like that, but, ultimately, we didn’t come out with a win so I don’t value it too much,” Sonck said.

In the third quarter, the Bobcats nearly scored with a mere 9 points to LCC’s 22. Also, Sonck tallied up his third foul and was taken out until the end of the third quarter. Despite the lack of scoring, Bobsquad would not give up and got even louder cheering on their team.

LCC came out even faster in the fourth quarter, but the Bobcats were determined to give it their all. The game finished with LCC on top 74-50. The crowd finished the game with a “We still love you” chant after the boys gave it their all.

After the boys finished on the court, the fans fled out of the stadium to watch Daniel Moran  score a last minute goal to have boys soccer tie LCC 1-1. At LCC, varsity girls soccer had a very close game, but came up short losing 1-0. All Sage Creek sports gave it their all on Hoopcoming weekend, and so did the Bobsquad in cheering on their athletes.

“Words cannot describe how incredible the fans were. Every game they create an incredible atmosphere and we are truly grateful for their support,” Sonck concluded.

• S

sam bodnarFeb 12, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Tim,
    Make sure your lead gives the actual news/main points of the piece. Remember the inverted pyramid of a news story: most important/relevant pieces of info first and then the rest follows suit.

• T

Tim BaxterFeb 13, 2018 at 10:34 am

k