There’s More to You than Your GPA

ZeeMee, a phone application, that paints a truer picture of a student than their transcripts.
This is the ZeeMee loading page. Users can personalize their account with a profile picture, what school they are attending, and where they are from.
Screenshot taken by Gabe Vecchio

Imagine this: laughter and the smell of food float around a warm room with the fire burning, it’s another late autumn evening as you sit on your couch, laptop in hand, with a blank stare. In a few days college applications will be due, hours of mind-numbing form-filling, and days of aimless clicking, along with four 350 word essays.

Last fall, high school seniors across the country began the punitive process of applying to colleges.  Recently, a new program has entered the playing field that may change the game for high school students.  

Enter ZeeMee, a program that can provide a students with a more creative option for their applications. ZeeMee, both a website and app similar to Instagram, offers a platform where users can create a profile with videos and pictures of their life similar to other social media networks.  These pictures can be seen directly by admissions officers and considered in the student’s application.

I wish I knew about ZeeMee when I was applying. It would have offered information to colleges that I was unable to offer during the application.

ZeeMee’s mission statement promises that it is “Bringing stories to life and connecting people with life-changing opportunities.”  The company, which made some big changes Aug. 1, has introduced a more contemporary application process available to users with a more original way of doing things.  Over 200 colleges use ZeeMee, including local institutions such as Point Loma Nazarene University and San Diego State University.  

Screenshot taken by Gabe Vecchio.
A few of the schools included on ZeeMee’s dashboard, which showcases colleges that you may be interested in.

The great thing about ZeeMee is that it provides a personal insight into a student rather than a culmination of transcripts and test scores. The program is also easy to access and navigate, it can be downloaded as an app for your smartphone or accessed on a computer, and is completely free.

Although many students may see ZeeMee as another thing to worry about, it isn’t hard to use and can be a fun way to advertise yourself as a prospective student. In all, ZeeMee is a life saver for any student looking to add a little extra gusto to your college application.

So when you’re in that room pull don’t be afraid to pull your phone out and share the experience.

• T

Tyler OverbeyJan 25, 2018 at 11:03 am

Love your article, Gabe. Great job man