Annual Blood Drive Visits Sage Creek Again

Red+Cross+will+hold+a+blood+drive+at+Sage+Creek+on+Dec.+20.+
Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons
Red Cross will hold a blood drive at Sage Creek on Dec. 20.

On December 20th, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Red Cross will be coming to Sage Creek to give kids an opportunity to donate blood. During the holidays, the need for blood skyrockets, and this a great opportunity to help. However there are restrictions for donating. Click here for the eligibility requirements.  

You can sign up for the blood drive at lunch or sign up online through this link.

Senior Alexis McBride, who is working with the Red Cross for this blood drive, wanted to give students at Sage Creek some advice about donating.

“Remember to eat breakfast the morning that you donate as well as stay well hydrated a few days before you donate, also try not be to nervous as it can make it harder for the nurses to find a vein,” McBride said.

Senior Carter Peterson browses social media to take his mind off of the needle in his arm. Donations like these help local hospitals deal with disasters.

McBride also explained why giving blood is a good service to your community.

“Donating blood is a great way to give back to your community, and is slightly unusual; you do not need to purchase anything or give money to make an impact,” McBride said.

The Red Cross is always looking for donations and she thought that expanding this to the Sage Creek community was a great way to get people to donate. McBride also wanted to share this with her community to get the word out about saving lives.

Donating one pint of blood can save up to three lives.

“You can donate the red blood cells, white blood cells and plasma to three different people,” McBride said.

Senior Holly Alvarez, who is planning on donating, shared why she wants to help her community.

“Like Alexis said, donating can save lives, and since I am able to donate, there is no reason that I shouldn’t,” Alvarez said.

Students received passes to come out and donate blood during class time. They got to spend a class period inside vans like this.

Giving blood allows our community to come together for a good cause, to help those in need, and make a difference.

• O

OwenDec 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

When you think about it, Blood drive is a really disturbing phrase