Amanda Klein

Spanish Language & Culture

What would you say is the difficulty level of this class?

“The difficulty level is high, but there’s a lot of preparation for the students that takes place and really my biggest recommendation for any student department-wide is make sure you take the Spanish 4 class. The students that take Spanish 4 are not shocked at all by what we do in AP and it’s trying to jump from Spanish 3 to AP without taking Spanish 4 that proves to be quite a challenge for students. But if you kind of do it step-by-step and you are preparing yourself, by the time you get to AP you are ready to go.” (Daniel Krámar, teacher)

“On a scale of one to ten, six and a half.” (Carnie Chen, senior)

“Since I’m a Spanish-speaker, there’s different types of Spanish, so there’s new stuff for me and I think that was kind of one of the hard parts in AP Spanish for me.” (Jacobo Navarro, junior)

What is the workload like?

“There’s always homework. Everyday there is going to be something to do. It can be anywhere from just a ten-minute assignment to maybe a twenty-minute assignment or thirty, it just depends, but most days it’s maybe about fifteen minutes of work. As long as you are focused you can get it done and you can work on it in class, you have everything you need to get it done quickly.” (Daniel Krámar, teacher)

“There isn’t much, but there is just… two questions a day we have to answer, but other days there might be projects or something we have to do, so it’s not that bad.” (Carnie Chen, senior)

“There was homework everyday, but it was manageable, it wasn’t too hard.” (Jacobo Navarro, junior)

Any tips for students looking to take this class?

“If you don’t understand something, you really have to work on it yourself.” (Carnie Chen, senior)

“I skipped Spanish 4, so freshman year I took Spanish 3 and sophomore year I took AP, and I think if I would have taken Spanish 4, I would have been more prepared because there’s lots of stuff from Spanish 4. I think that’s kind of the key to AP Spanish, to be able to take Spanish 4 and then AP.” (Jacobo Navarro, junior)

Is there anything you would have done differently now that you have taken this course?

“Probably focus more in class, because we have to read passages, and if you don’t understand, it’s kind of hard to take the tests.” (Carnie Chen, senior)

“The only thing I could’ve done differently is maybe… focus on the writing, because that was the hardest part for me. I could speak it well, but when it comes to writing it was on a different level.” (Jacobo Navarro, junior)

What kind of student should take this class/Why would a student want to take this class?

“When you learn another language you are actually learning to communicate with millions of other people and you can open your horizons a lot more and just provide yourself opportunities to interact with other people you just wouldn’t have the opportunity to. Travel different places and then use your Spanish in your professional life. If you are going to study medicine or science, or anything, it’s going to be used, you are going to use Spanish in your professional career.” (Daniel Krámar, teacher)

What kind of careers could this class lead to?

“If you are into education then definitely, if you want to be a Spanish teacher that’s cool, but I’ve had a lot of friends get hired on, my brother got hired on to work as a construction worker because he speaks Spanish, and now he’s assistant superintendent in the construction business… I’ve met doctors, people in the medical field, nurses, that use it often because there’s a lot of people that speak Spanish. So, really there is so many facets, any profession where you are going to work with people, in this area especially, you are going to need some Spanish, it will be very beneficial if you have it.” (Daniel Krámar, teacher)

The Sage • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in