Senior Jonah Varelli Establishes “Tifty” Clothing to Give Back

Photo by Kyle Turner
Jonah Varelli models his own brand.

Last year at SCHS, many Genius Projects stood out and amazed plenty. They showcased that young people’s ideas can change our community altogether. This in itself is the goal of the Genius Project here at SCHS. Just like last year, several Genius Projects are standing out from others.

This year, SCHS is beginning to see a standout already. That standout is senior Jonah Varelli and his clothing brand: Tifty.

Tifty is an up-and-coming clothing brand. This brand helps Varelli share his style and let other people express themselves as well.

“I have a professional designer that draws all my different designs. I then send up the design to my silk screen printer and he does all of that in Portland, Oregon. He sends them down and they are immediately ready to sell,” Varelli said.

Varelli explained what inspired him and his vision for this company.

“I always pushed myself in areas that I like,” he said.

Varelli has a passion for clothing and being able to have my own style. With his clothing brand, he plans to donate $1,000 to San Diego Youth Services to help abused, orphaned, and addicted teens to fight their way through to the overcoming struggles. He plans on changing the world with this brand. He hopes that the donations he will make will help kids get the care they need.

Sage Creek alumnae Leanne McIntee commented on Varelli’s brand.

“I think his project is amazing and something he has wanted to do for awhile, so the fact Sage provided him an opportunity to create his dream is amazing, and I’m really happy with how well it’s going for him. I think the fact the profits are going charity is great. No donation is small and he’s making a decently sized one towards these broken kids. Usually, at least once a week, I’ll wear his shirts because the shirts are really soft and I love supporting his creation and getting the word out about what he’s going,” McIntee said.

Just like McIntee, many students at SCHS are also trying to get Varelli’s brand to gain more popularity and help it to become a huge brand one day. SCHS senior Pierce Rough, who is one of Tifty’s biggest fans, gave his opinion on what he thinks of the brand and its goal.

“[The clothes are] super comfortable and durable. They are true to size and don’t shrink when washed or dried. I love the idea of donating part of his income to less fortunate kids,” Rough said.

Varelli’s clothing line aims to do exactly what the English program is looking for in a Genius Project: it’s an idea that makes you go outside your boundaries and helps change your community. Tifty has made Varelli go outside his comfort zone, express his creative design side, and help less fortunate.

“My goal with this project to make a major donation to a charity that has impacted my life largely and also let people know that ambition and drive is a huge part of life and to always excel in something you love,” Varelli said.