The “Freshman” Dilemma

What You Should Do Freshman Year in Order to be Prepared for College
Photo by Paige Loeffler
Senior Daniel Moran,putting together a slideshow for class.

Fresh out of middle school, almost through puberty, rolling backpacks, P.E. class, new friends, new teachers, and being dropped off by your mom in the roundabout. One of the last things a freshman worries about is college. At least, that was my case.

While avoiding intimidating upperclassmen and trying to find your own identity, college admissions are just one of those stressors that seem to come long after freshman year. But as a freshman, you can alleviate some of that stress that most of us seniors are currently experiencing.

Don’t jump to writing your personal statement essays, but start researching colleges that you are interested in. Take an assortment of classes― including electives― that you may be interested in following through with in a career. The biomedical, engineering, and science opportunities offered at Sage Creek are insurmountable to programs offered at other local schools, so if you are unsure about taking those courses, try them out because you might regret it if you don’t.

For those of you who participate in sports, and would like to play in college, get involved with club teams as soon as you can. Reach out to youth programs and try out coaching or refereeing. College coaches love the leadership and experience that comes with this. Most colleges offer clinics that allow you to visit the school while being noticed by their coaches, so take these opportunities and research them as much as you can. Although the coaches cannot reach out to you yet, trust me; when you fill out recruitment questionnaires junior year, they will recognize your name and you will be more likely to be contacted.

Freshman year grades are not often looked at, but do not disregard this year completely. Use this time to develop good study habits and make friends who encourage you to keep your grades up. Look into practice SAT and ACT test programs online. The sooner you get practicing, the better your final score will be.

And finally, do not be afraid to ask for advice from your parents. I know you may not have the best relationship with them at this point, but they’ve gone through exactly what you are going through at this very moment. Alternatively, reach out to a teacher or any adult in your life, rather than trying to solve everything on your own.

High school goes by faster than you can imagine. Don’t fret too much about this, but do prepare yourself as much as you can for what is to come.