Cuphead: No It’s Not Like Dark Souls

Cuphead and Mugman
Studio MDHR
Cuphead and Mugman

Cuphead

Platform(s): Xbox One, PC

Publisher: Studio MDHR

Price: 19.99

Release:September 29, 2017

Introduction

“Cuphead”, at its base, is a 2D, hand drawn, side scrolling shooter, platformer. It may seem deceptively simple and, in fact, it is. Does simple mean it’s an easy breeze? Does simple mean it’s an enjoyable experience tailored to fit everyone? No and no. “Cuphead” is the single most infuriating game that has come out recently, it is both beautiful and masterfully crafted but will actually make you slam your controller (or keyboard) on your table.

This difficulty is actually a main component of the game and the entry barrier one must accept before making the $20 purchase. The difficulty however is not like old arcade games or early Nintendo Entertainment System classics, where they wanted you to force quarters into the machine. The difficulty here stems from skill and perseverance and provides some of the most rewarding feelings one can have while playing a game. You did not beat the boss because you bought some micro transaction item from the in game store, you beat it because you were skilled enough to.

It’s not making a statement like other game developers try to do from time to time. Nowadays, any game that has an inkling of difficulty is compared to mainstream hit, “Dark Souls.” “Cuphead” is not “Dark Souls”. “Dark Souls” is a third person role playing game that only shares its insane difficulty with “Cuphead”. “Cuphead” is its own distinct game that has its own amazing charm that immerses one in its 30’s drawn universe.

The Mechanics

“Cuphead” presents an answer to the question. Are video games art? If you plan on picking up “Cuphead”, then you will find it out for yourself. The artstyle is so strikingly different from anything you will ever see in the video game market. “Cuphead” is hand animated in a 1930’s, Depression Era style motif. Now hand-animated is not a term someone should take lightly when concerning animation, as each individual frame of animation is drawn by hand. Meaning it takes hours upon hours to draw a single attack cycle or even the titular Cuphead’s walking cycle. The determination of Studio MDHR speaks to the fact that they made the game they wanted and put in the required amount of time to do so. Nowadays all you see in independent titles is pixel graphics with some shaders over them. Why? It’s easier to animate and can really shave off time. The art  in “Cuphead” is an integral part of understanding the game and the passion from its developers.

The mechanics of “Cuphead” revolve around three types of stages: air, boss, and run and gun. Air stages resemble side scrolling stages from old Japanese arcade games, providing an infuriating difficulty. Bosses can either take place in the air or on the ground and they are brimming with personality. They are the main attraction to the game, bosses like Hilda Berg or King Dice present challenges that make you slam your fists and curse in frustration as the death screen continues to pop up.  To defeat said bosses you have to learn from your mistakes and improve on your abilities as a player rather than relying on overpowered skills or items. Said items only help you explore your play style while providing only the most basic amount of help to defeat these colorful villains. Run and gun levels are classic, linear engagements with left to right screen scrolling action. They make you consider each pixel you take towards the end of the stage and leave you at the tips of your toes trying to avoid that darned projectile on your last bit of health.

The story of “Cuphead” is simple, brothers  Cuphead and Mugman are drawn into the Devil’s Casino and are enticed to play a game of dice. Mugman warns Cuphead not to play and it ends with a loss. The brothers plead to the Devil so that they can keep their souls, the Devil agrees but the brothers must hunt down the Devil’s debtors and bring him each of their contracts. The story in “Cuphead” does what it needs to do, present a situation for our heroes to overcome and does away with the fluff.

“Cuphead” is an essential if you are wanting to pick up a game that is the whole game and nothing but the game. It all just works when it comes together, nothing feels out of place or forced. No micro transactions, no season passes and no bologna market practice. Supporting video games like “Cuphead” help bring back innovation and creativity to the medium. Now developers can see that people are interested in creativity and its applications and that market practice can differ from your “Call of Duty’s” or “Battlefield’s.” So not only can you feel good that you have bought a good game but also know you are buying into a good market practice.

*How Final Score Works*

1/10 Garbage Do Not Watch/Play (ex. Big Rigs)

2/10 Slightly Better than a 1 but still garbage (ex. Elmo’s Alphabet Adventure)

3/10 Tries at some point but gives up (ex. Ride to Hell Retribution)

4/10 Made mistakes along the way but still tried its best (ex. EA Star Wars Battlefront)

5/10 The epitome of mediocre, not good not bad (ex. Any Call of Duty after Modern Warfare)

6/10 Just Ok ex. Battlefield

7/10 Good, worth picking up later but not at full price (ex. Any Indie Rpg Game)

8/10 Awesome, worth picking up now (ex. Europa Universalis IV)

9/10 Excellent, It is an Essential (ex. Cuphead)

10/10 A God Game, something worth putting all your time into (ex. The Witcher 3)

• R

RobertOct 1, 2018 at 9:37 am

A game that is like dark souls is bloodborne, bloodborne is a souls like game taking place in the victorian era and the combat is a lot more smooth.

Andrew CovielloNov 8, 2017 at 10:03 am

Cuphead is not like Dark Souls because it is 2D and Hilda Berg is based Steven Universe wolol 7.10/10 IGN

• S

SebastianNov 3, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Cool article! Love your rating system, gives readers an idea of what to expect when they read one of your game reviews!