Standing Up For Our Country

Alexander Estes, Staff Writer

In case you missed it, NFL athletes have been kneeling during the National Anthem to protest racial injustices in the country. The protest started in August of 2016, when the former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during the national anthem.

This quickly instigated a  controversy about his reasoning for kneeling and for people believing that this act is “disrespectful.”

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”  Kaepernick said.

This all blew up once again when President Trump addressed the kneeling by the NFL, saying how great it would be if an NFL team owner told a player kneeling to “Get that son of a b**** off the field right now, out, he’s fired. He’s fired.”

The trend has spread all around the country, inspiring people to sit down during the Pledge of Allegiance. One of the biggest arguments about these recent events is whether or not this is disrespectful. Factually, it is your right to decide whether or not you want to stand for the National Anthem, but in a way you are disrespecting our troops and our country. We all have a right to kneel or sit during our anthem because of the troops that have fought in war for that right.

Many say that they will not stand for a country oppressing people of color and perpetuating inequality. Other players are now kneeling to protest President Trump’s statements.  

While the reasons they are protesting are perfectly fine, they should not be doing it during our national anthem or pledge of allegiance. I say this because there is a time and place for everything, and protesting like this is not the right time nor place. Simply kneeling during the national anthem to protest the violence and murders against innocent African Americans does not make sense because that is not what the national anthem stands for. The flag represents honor, loyalty, and the sacrifices our military made to give us true freedom.

In fact, I think it is very important to protest these issues as they are misrepresenting what our country really is and what it stands for. Now that kneeling during the national anthem has gained traction again, it has caused an outrage in the NFL and its fans.

Many diehard fans are abandoning their teams because of these protests – they’d rather not have politics brought into their sports. Politics should have never been brought into football as it is supposed to be a fun and engaging source of entertainment for people to blow off steam. This whole ordeal has even reached high school students all around the country, inspiring them to remain seated during the daily Pledge of Allegiance.

People who sit for the Pledge of Allegiance sit for the same reason as people in the NFL kneel or sit for the national anthem. Many people at school consider this taboo to do, as we have been taught to stand all of our life, so everybody stands. Since some people now are sitting, other students give them staring eyes, but teachers are also paying attention.

Math teacher Madison McLean feels strongly about this issue. McLean’s husband has been deployed two times already, separating them for a total of 14 months.

“Both me and my husband are disrespected when people don’t stand and appreciate the freedoms that they are given.” said McLean. Although McLean thinks this is disrespectful, she acknowledges that “their freedom was given to them, so they can choose to sit.”

I do not agree with the kneeling and sitting. My family has a long history of serving in the military, but fighting these protests with violence will only make us go backwards. People who are protesting against the kneeling and sitting need to realize that it is the players’ right, and in fact our military are the ones who fought for that right.

There is not one side that is right in this argument.

There is not one side that is right in this argument. Both those who are kneeling and those against kneeling are not understanding each other. People kneeling and sitting don’t realize that it’s very disrespectful to the military and our country, and people against it don’t realize that they have the right to do so. At the end of the day, both sides need to stop dividing our country, but it would all be stopped if these protesters would not continue to disrespect our troops, our flag, and the flag that represents the land of the free and the home of the brave.