Need a Good Book?

Have you ever had that feeling of not having anything to read, or having something to read but it’s really not that good? Well here are the top five student picked books/series’ from the library last year! Big thanks to Sage Creek’s librarian, Cathy Asker, for helping get this data! Hopefully, this will help you out.

Photo taken from
             “The Maze Runner”

“The Maze Runner”                    

Author: James Dashner

Books in the series: “The Maze Runner,”

“The Scorch Trials,” “The Death Cure,” “The Kill Order,” and “The Fever Code”

Overview:

“If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human. When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers–boys whose memories are also gone. “Nice to meet ya, shank.” “Welcome to the Glade.” Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out–and no one’s ever made it through alive. “Everything is going to change. Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying. Remember. Survive. Run.

Photo taken from                              wikipedia.com
                      “Holes”

“Holes”

Author: Louis Sachar

Books in the series: “Holes”

Overview:

Stanley Yelnats IV is a 14 year old boy from a hard-working but poor family that is allegedly affected by a curse of bad luck, which they blame on Stanley’s, “no-good-dirty-rotten pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather”.

Stanley’s latest stroke of misfortune occurs when he is mistakenly convicted of the theft of a pair of athletic shoes once owned by Clyde “Sweet Feet” Livingston, which had been donated to a homeless shelter to raise money.

Stanley is sent to Camp Green Lake, a juvenile imprisonment and disciplinary facility, which is ironically in the middle of a sterile desert. As a punishment, the inmates of the camp have to dig 1 hole a day, 5 feet wide and 5 feet deep, to ‘build character’. Stanley soon begins to suspect that they are not digging to build character, but rather to find something hidden beneath the dry, rocky ground.

Photo taken from wikipedia.com
          “Thirteen Reasons Why”

“Thirteen Reasons Why”

Author: Jay Asher

Books in the series: “Thirteen Reasons Why”

Overview:

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life.

Photo taken from wikipedia.com
                   “Red Queen”

“Red Queen”

Author: Victoria Aveyard

Books in the series: “Red Queen,” Glass Sword,” and “King’s Cage”

Overview:

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

Photo taken from Wikipedia.com.
          “The Ruins of Gorlan”

“Ranger’s Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan”

Author: John Flanagan

Books in the series: “The Ruins of Gorlan,” “The Burning Bridge,” “The Icebound Land,” “The Battle for Skandia,” “The Sorcerer in the North,” “The Siege of Macindaw,” “Erak’s Ransom,” “The Kings of Clonmel,” “Halt’s Peril,” “The Emperor of Nihon-Ja,” “The Lost Stories,” and “The Royal Ranger”

Overview:

They have always scared him in the past- the Rangers, with their dark cloaks and shadowy ways. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now 15-year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger’s apprentice. What he doesn’t yet realize is that the Ran

gers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of battle and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And as Will is about to learn, there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time, he will not be denied. . . .