Disney Loses Star Wars Episode 9 Director

The new Star Wars movie has not yet recieved a title.

“Star Wars IX,” the upcoming “Star Wars” movie which is expected to premiere on May 24, 2019, lost director Colin Trevorrow. A new director has not been announced by Lucasfilm yet. The split between Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow was announced on Tuesday, September 3rd and was likely due to the difference in ideas about the film between the two.

An announcement from Lucasfilms declared that, “Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on ‘Star Wars: Episode IX.” The split was mainly due to different visions for where the movie was going, Colin Trevorrow worked on the script as well as directing, so the creative differences would have been a struggle to work around.

When touching on the departure of Trevorrow, Lucasfilm declared that, “unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project.” Since this step-down was mutual, the production companies and Trevorrow remain on good terms.

Disney/Lucasfilm also stated that, “Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.” Colin Trevorrow recently directed Jurassic World, which could suggest he stepped down from his position due to large differences in the films.

Engadget points out that Trevorrow, “was an odd choice to direct Star Wars from the start. While Jurassic World was incredibly successful worldwide, it also made it clear that he had plenty of room to mature as a director.” Since he had wanted to take the movie a different way due to his past projects, the parting ways of Disney/Lucasfilms and Colin Trevorrow might turn out to be beneficial for the ninth Star Wars movie. But that poses the question, who would replace him?

“Rumors ran rampant that Rian Johnson or J.J. Abrams, directors of The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens respectively, were in the running for the position”, as stated by Polygon. While these are just rumors, it would help out the franchise by making the directing and the script similar in style to the previous movies.

Although, Rian Johnson has denied these rumors by saying “It was never in the plan for me to direct Episode IX,” he has not officially stated that it is completely off the table. It might not be Johnson that directs Star Wars IV, but hopefully Abrams or another director from previous Star Wars movies, or directors of similar movie style, will pick up the job.

But as Rian Johnson said, “whoever does it, I’m going to be really excited to be an audience member again and to see what the next filmmaker has to show us.”

• S

Sam BodnarSep 20, 2017 at 1:44 pm

“Tuesday, September 3rd”

—– Change to “Tuesday, September 3″ for formatting purposes

” for the position”, as stated

—– Comma inside quotations

Hyperlink sources.

Love you, Ms. Kuehl and Gabby!

– Psycho Sam 🙂