Cats Come up Short in Overtime

Sam Bodnar

More stories from Sam Bodnar

Starting+point+guard%2C+Xavier+Allison%2C+charges+into+the+Maverick+defense+late+in+the+fourth+quarter.+His+layup+was+one+of+many+shots+that+Sage+Creek+hit+in+their+14-2+fourth+quarter+comeback+against+the+La+Costa+Canyon+Mavericks.+

Bryce Lincoln

Starting point guard, Xavier Allison, charges into the Maverick defense late in the fourth quarter. His layup was one of many shots that Sage Creek hit in their 14-2 fourth quarter comeback against the La Costa Canyon Mavericks.

Despite a 14-2 run to send the game into extra minutes, the Bobcats couldn’t take game two from La Costa Canyon. In a 57-52 overtime loss, Sage Creek fought valiantly but ultimately could not shut down the Mavericks who outscored them 14-9 in the added period.

Photographer: Bryce Lincoln
Senior, Dylan Rossi, drives through the lane for an easy two.

Last Friday night was loaded with back and forth lead changes, close calls, and erupting applauses from both sides of the LCC gym. Each team went on their own scoring outbursts, but ultimately it was LCC who picked up second chance points and got their shots through the bottom of the net.

Senior, Jacob Uhl commented on what the Mavericks were able to capitalize on in their home win.

“A lot of the [Mavericks’] points were second chance points down low, where we weren’t blocking out. They were getting offensive rebounds and putting them in,” Uhl said.

In addition to that, he discussed his perspective on where the team will look to improve on the defensive end of the floor.

“Our bigs worked really hard that game; credit to our big men. Next time, we need to pick a man to box out when we’re in our 3-2 zone, and the defense will be set,” Uhl reflected.

During a post-game interview with senior, Teiyler Scott, he discussed another significant issue that has been plaguing the team during their (now) four game losing streak.

Photographer: Bryce Lincoln
Nick Sonck posts up his man for a hard fought bucket in the fourth quarter.

“We’ve been talking about this consistently. We have to make shots and shoot the ball better. When you score more consistently, it allows you to play better defense and feel more comfortable up and down the court,” Scott said.

After a 17-10 lead to cap off the first quarter, the Bobcats managed to put up just 12 points in the second and third quarters combined, which put them down 41-29 at the end of three. Once again, however, a familiar name came to boost the team back into the ballgame: Nick Sonck.

The sophomore forward exploded down low for 15 points by drawing easy fouls, and adding five rebounds to his performance. In the last loss to Torrey Pines, Scott gave Sonck a long pep talk and on Friday, he opened up to what he discussed with the sophomore forward.

Photographer: Bryce Lincoln
Senior, Teiyler Scott (left) helps sophomore, Nick Sonck (right), up after stealing the ball.

“I’ve taken him under my wing to be a senior big to him, a sophomore big. I felt that it was necessary for me to give him a bode of confidence after such a great game he had,” Scott expressed.

In the last two games, Sonck has tallied 31 points and has had a huge impact on boxing out guys down low. The confidence that is beginning to blossom within him has been recognized throughout the past two nights, especially from Scott.

“I really feel like it’s going to push him the rest of this way, as we saw here against LCC. [His confidence] has really pushed him to a new level,” Scott said.

Other efforts that did not go unnoticed came from senior and starting point guard, Xavier Allison. Along with dropping 17 points, the co-captain snagged two steals and dished out five assists to rally his offense in the 14-2 fourth quarter run.

Point guard, Xavier Allison, maneuvers his offense late in the fourth quarter. Photographer: Sam Bodnar

“Going into the fourth, we had no doubt we could come back and win the game. We’ve gone [on] big runs before and had faith we would again,” Allison stated.

After a hard-fought battle, the Bobcats tied it all up at 41, but quickly surrendered an easy second chance layup and trailed 43-41 with 25 seconds to go. After pushing the orange across half court, Coach Brandon Dowdy called a timeout to orchestrate one final possession.

“He drew a play for us to get an open look and score. He told us not to panic and make the best play possible,” Sonck said.

Sure enough, an opening presented itself and the team found Sonck, who powered through the paint and scored the tying basket with four seconds in the fourth quarter.

“I felt pretty good, but I was focusing on overtime and the next play to make sure that [LCC] didn’t score,” Sonck said in response to his feelings on his clutch bucket.

From here, however, the story tells the rest. The Mavericks dominated in overtime by draining multiple threes and getting to the line on intentional fouls. In their last meeting, Sage Creek shot 58 percent from the field but Friday night, they only hit 42 percent of their shots. LCC was relentless on their home court and gave Sage its fourth straight loss.

With Hoopcoming week arriving now, the starting point guard had a message for the Bobcat Nation.

Sam Bodnar
Head Coach, Brandon Dowdy, boosts his team up with confidence during a timeout.

“Yes we’ve had a tough stretch these past two weeks but the last couple games, our energy has been high and shots will fall. We need the [student] section to come out this week and help us get the two W’s,” Allison concluded.