Show Me The Money!

Jennifer Baxter

More stories from Jennifer Baxter

The Road Not Taken
June 8, 2017

This year, the senior class introduced preferred parking, or gold-ticket parking, for students on campus. Each ticket is $50 dollars per trimester, but what do the proceeds benefit?

“I don’t know I am assuming the PTSA is doing something to fund something, but I don’t know,” senior Dylan Gutierrez said after being asked where he thought the money was going.

Photo by Jennifer Baxter

Many seniors share this inquiry that the money was going to school, but they did not know where specifically in the school it was going.

Principal Mr. Morales shed some light on where the proceeds from senior parking will be going.

“The funds are not being deposited on a specific activity or group of students,” Morales said, “The ASB has full leverage of how to utilize the money.”

Senior Shauna Davis, the ASB treasurer, is also informed on the conception of the idea and its ultimate purpose. According to Davis, senior parking “was an ASB idea… It wasn’t a senior class idea.”

“The money is always going to go to the students,” Davis stated. Even though it is not going to the senior class, the money will benefit the student body as a whole.

ASB leader Mr. Kung elaborated on what specifically the cost for preferred parking will benefit.

“We have all the ASB events we put on this year,” Kung explained. “The flag football tournament, the pep rally that’s coming up for Hoopcoming, events for Hoopcoming and then all the senior events.”

Another pressing question students had is why the permit is only valid for that respective trimester.

“The reason we did one trimester rather than all year long was to allow more people to have an opportunity to have closer parking,” Morales clarified.

The senior parking money is going not just to benefit the seniors, but the student population as a whole. As Sage Creek continues to evolve overtime, more programs have the potential to be implemented like this one to raise more funding for student activities.