Golden Globe Winner Takes the Crown

“The Doctor” now has the name of Phillip, George VI has continuously worsening health, and Winston Churchill takes on a very self-absorbed character troupe. Netflix Original, The Crown, makes a “Wolferton Splash” in streaming original history.

Faced with the prospect of leading the world’s most famous monarchy, Queen Elizabeth II must also develop good relations with Prime Minister, Winston Churchill. The British Empire is declining and performs in disarray; a young woman is then faced with the ever daunting responsibility of ruling one of the most daunting monarchies in history.

Frankly, previous Netflix Originals range from astounding to far below par- with hardly any in between. On a scale from Stranger Things to Fuller House– said scale up for debate- this recently released series definitely leans towards the higher factor.

With roots similar to The Tudors and Reign, any fan of royalty and the turmoil that comes with it is guaranteed to enjoy this underrated Netflix premiere, and additional winner of The Golden Globe’s ‘Best TV Drama’ award.

The first episode in the series, “Wolferton Splash,” pilots with a young Queen Elizabeth (Claire Foy), newly anointed Naval Commander Duke Philip (Matt Smith), and their gallant Buckingham wedding. Tensions are high and remain potent as Churchill strides in. The perfect amount of tension.

The casting is impeccably done, especially taking into consideration the betrothed Smith and Foy, with their respective roles. Not only do they fit their characters, but with good casting comes even better acting. This reigns true with all other cast members as well- supported by an additional two Golden Globes. All are amazing performers shows perfect examples of this throughout the season- including the children (an attribute that adds an additionally lightweight feel to the show).

If not for the acting, another crucial part of the show, as all programs require, is the plot. As stated before, the entirety is centered around royalty, however with much more underneath. This allows for eradication of a shallow plot. With the numerous Great Britain centered shows appearing, one ought to assume that there must be an outlying factor in order to allow the new show some limelight.

This demand is exceeded with the 1950s vibrant setting, not to mention the contrasting, (and previously mentioned) character strain. While not everyone’s cup of tea, a fan on English nobility will surely enjoy this ample showmanship of life and culture within Buckingham palace.