Sage Creek Students Are Great and Grateful

Skylar Hughes

Sage Creek High School seniors were shocked and surprised when they learned their final exam would consist of arts and crafts and a call to a loved one.

Many high school students have grown accustomed to the “traditional” final, usually including a typical multiple choice test or on-demand essay. “I was hyped when I found out, because it was something new, that none of us had ever heard of,” said Branden Korf.

English teachers Corrie Myers and Sarah Hunter knew they wanted their English 4 students’ final to consist of a life skill, but never imagined this lesson plan would have such an impact. “Students wrote three letters, and on the day of the final, they were told to call the person and read the letter.” said Hunter. “We didn’t know what to expect. With 17 and 18-year-olds, being vulnerable is difficult, even for some adults,” Hunter stated.

Nothing could’ve prepared them for what came next. The first two calls, made by Bryce Lincoln and Jeremy Hargrove, were groundbreaking. “I’m watching this 18-year-old boy call his mom and thank her for everything she’s done, and I’m losing it,” said Myers.

This senior class is undoubtedly special. “Being the first class, these kids have not had it easy, they’ve gotten a lot of flack, and we wanted to do something to show what amazing individuals they are,” said Myers.

Students called a variety of different people, including teachers, friends, and family members. Korf called his friend Claudio, “thanking him for just being a friend, he’s really been there for me the past two years.” There’s no question that making these calls was a gratifying experience, but those receiving the calls may have appreciated the experience even more.

“We have already heard stories of how there’s just been this ripple effect, and parents have told me that their kids can’t wait to do this in a couple years, but it’s funny, because you don’t have to wait; anyone can and should do this whenever they want,” Hunter expressed. It may be difficult for those who didn’t participate to understand the extent of emotions that were expressed during this activity. “Behind getting married, and having my son, this is among the top-five life experiences for me, as an educator for sure, but more importantly as a person,” Myers expressed.

If there’s one thing you should take away from this project, it’s simple: Do it.