Handplanes: A New Way to Bodysurf

+taken+by+james+huang+at+ponto+beach
taken by james huang at ponto beach

Triston Wu’s active passion for bodysurfing pushed him to start his own company, Fluid Handplanes, two years ago. Fluid Handplanes is a local company striving to create good, quality handplanes at an affordable place.

Handplanes are boards that you use to bodysurf (hence the name, because they fit in the palm of your hand). Each handplane he builds is completely handcrafted in his workshop and constructed with multiple types of wood. He has also created different designs and types of surfboards and paipos as well.

Our ultimate goal is to build sustainable and quality surfcraft in order to expand not only the bodysurfing community, but also the sustainable surf movement for future generations to enjoy,” said Wu. In the past two years, he has grown his company by selling several of his products at local markets and various surf shops.

“At first it was just a hobby but I noticed there were only a handful of major handplane companies that were on the market. Handplanes are a niche thing, so I felt like I would have a chance competing with them,” said Wu. He liked the simplicity and how entertaining they can be, but wanted to create a way for people to get quality and affordable handplanes people can enjoy.

Wu started making a few handplanes with just some of the tools he had at home and some scrap wood. As he crafted more handplanes, purchased more tools, and even a sewing machine to style the straps out of recycled wetsuits. As time progressed, he has honed his skills and has designed several surfboards and handplanes now.

Junior and friend of Wu, Cameron Bickerstaff, is an avid supporter of the company who is always “making sure the legacy and lifestyle of handplanes continues on as [they] strive to [They want to] not only make innovations and leave [their] own legacy, but [they want] to highlight and respect the legacy of those before [them],” said Bickerstaff. They’re both passionate about trying to grow the bodysurfing community.

They are currently selling these products at the La Jolla Open Air market and Wu is working on getting to sell handplanes in other local farmers markets.