Sage Creek Students Stage a Walkout Protest Carlsbad High Vice Principal Ethan Williams

Angela Huang
Students gathered in front of Sage Creek wearing and waving their rainbow flags. As an act of protest many made posters and cheered for their friends and speakers.

On May 30, 2023 at 10 a.m., Sage Creek students walked out of classes in hopes of raising the Pride Flag outside of school and to protest against the controversial statements made against the proposed Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) plan. 

The speaker in the photo condemned Williams for his words. Her friends and family in support are in the back. (Angela Huang)

Many students came out donning their rainbow best to speak out against Vice Principal of Carlsbad High School Ethan Williams’ public comments.  Many spoke out at this rally to support the LGBTQ+ student body at Sage Creek and Carlsbad High Schools. The schools banded together to advocate for the raising of the Pride Flag this June. 

“We want no sexual identity or gender ideology curriculum, groups, or celebrations on public school campuses,” said Williams in a recording from May 19. 

The walkout was an act of activism against erasure and condemnation of LGBTQ+ education.

In addition to Williams’ comments, students protested against the agenda that a Mission Church priest also preached on Friday, May 19. 

About 200 students came out in support for the LGBTQ+ community with handmade posters and flags. The student body walked out in colors, ready to protest. (Angela Huang)

The Mission Church priest was recorded saying, “There is definitely something wrong. And what is definitely wrong is you’re going against your own biology. Every cell in your body you’re going against, no wonder your life isn’t worth feeling, worth living. You’re going against the true and living God.” 

This denunciation of the LGBTQ+ student body members caused outrage and determination. “We will not be forgotten” and “raise the flag” were heard throughout the walkout.