Sage Creek Winter Sports Season Comes to a Close

Photo provided by Kristel Tran
The boys Freshman soccer team huddles up for a team picture after a game. Even though the team doesn’t have an amazing record, they still remain friends on and off the field.

This year, Sage Creek has had strong end-of-winter sports season results. Sports such as basketball, soccer and wrestling have upheld the Sage Creek sports legacy through the amazing athletes who had put their time and care into their team and school. Even through the rollercoaster of emotions and wins and losses, Bobcats persevered and finished their winter seasons strong. 

One of the many sports that are attempting to end their season strong is boy’s soccer. This group of athletes has definitely been through a season of ups and downs, but they kept persevering and kept striving to end their season on a good note. The Freshman team is winding down with a record of 1-4-1, Junior Varsity with 0-3-1, and Varsity with 1-8-6. Even without the pitch-perfect record, our boy’s soccer teams put their heart onto the field and never stopped fighting. 

Teammates on JV girls basketball team pose for a picture after practice. Even after tough games or practices, the athletes always make time to have fun. (Photo provided by Ivette Rodriguez)

One of these athletes that put his care into the game is Elijah Cruz. Cruz is a freshman who is playing his first season as part of the bobcat soccer family on the freshman team. It is safe to say that Sage Creek soccer has definitely lived up to his expectations. 

“I am very happy I joined the freshman team this year, I thought I wasn’t going to join but I ended up joining and it’s pretty cool,“ Cruz remarks. 

Even through the Freshman team’s relatively rough season, the group of boys never stopped loving the sport. Through their shared love of soccer, these athletes have created a bond that will last a lifetime. 

“I enjoy being with my team, they’re all friendly and very cool. They all support me because I might not be the best player on the team but they’re all next to me and they tell me to keep going and do my best,“ Cruz explains.  

Much like boy’s soccer, girl’s basketball has also had an amazing turnout this season. This special group of Bobcats has definitely made their season count with amazing records. The Junior Varsity team is closing the season out with a record of 2-5 and the Varsity team ended with a record of 19-8. Going undefeated, with a league record of 8-0, the girl’s Varsity team came out on top of their league. This was an amazing victory for the team and the school. 

Ranya Jafry, who was captain of the girl’s JV basketball team this season, is very content with her and her teammates’ personal growth on and off the court. 

“We all grew a lot as players and as people and we had a great season,“ Jafry reminisces.  

Throughout the season, Jafry has also established relationships with her teammates that will continue to grow as she continues to play on Sage Creek’s special teams. 

“I really enjoyed this Winter season, we powered through and ended on a good note, and it was a lot of fun,” Jafry said.  

These sports, and many more, that had their seasons during the Winter of 2023 at Sage Creek have definitely made the school proud through their physical and mental improvements and victories on and off the field or court.