“Titanic” Returned to Theaters for its 25th Anniversary

Photo from Wiki Commons. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
The original set of “Titanic” is pictured above. The re-release of “Titanic” draws in old and new crowds to this must-watch movie.

“Titanic” is a film loved by billions that now has made its way back in theaters for its 25th anniversary. Showings started on Feb. 9 and ended on Feb. 16, just in time for Valentine’s Day.

The film follows the ill-fated lovers Jack Dawson and Rose Dewitt played by Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet as they are aboard the luxurious and doomed R.M.S Titanic. With “Titanic” utilizing historical and fictional aspects, it has become one of the most epic love stories to ever hit the big screen. 

This re-release allowed old and new generations to appreciate the film and celebrate the legacy it has had over the last 25 years. Freshman Carli Jordan saw “Titanic” for the first time in theaters and believes that having that experience really made a difference in her enjoyment of the film. 

“I thought there was definitely a difference because I watched it in 3D too,” said Jordan. “I thought that was really cool because I got to see it on the big screen, and it felt like I was there.” 

Even after 25 years, “Titanic” is still regarded as a must-watch in pop culture. This raises the question: What keeps this movie popular after so much time?

Matthew Haupert, an English teacher at Sage Creek, talks about what truly makes this movie so iconic and memorable. 

“I think ‘Titanic’ is a combination of really iconic actors and really iconic music and a really iconic story from history. I think the combination of those three things make people remember it,” Haupert said. 

Another reason why “Titanic” has stayed so iconic is because of the emotions it evokes in its audience. 

“I really like ‘Titanic.’ I thought it was very sad and I thought it was really an experience to see what they were going through,” Jordan added. “I felt like I could feel their emotions.”

“There’s so many moments from that movie that everybody knows whether you’re a kid now or a kid when it came out,” Haupert said.

At the end of the day, we can assume that “Titanic” will continue to be a timeless film that will capture the hearts of those who watch it, regardless of age.