Stellar Tennis Pro Novak Djokovic Wows Fans With His 22nd Grand Slam Win

Photo from Wikimedia Commons. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Djokovic amidst his 2011 Australian Open victory. This image shows both how much he has grown as an athlete and how much effort he has put into the sport to be in the position he is in today.

After nearly 20 years since his professional debut, Novak Djokovic, nicknamed Djoker, received his 22nd Grand Slam title during the 2023 Australian Open (AO), 10 of which were won during past AOs. This tied him with Rafael Nadal for the spot of the highest Grand Slam titles of all time, not to mention also setting him as the present number one in the world. Considering his opponent Stefanos Tsitsipas was placed third in the world, this straight-set victory was nothing short of well-deserved.

In January of 2022, Djokovic was prevented from playing in that year’s AO and unwillingly held for three days in a containment hotel due to personal beliefs regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. This led to much frustration about the all-star Serbian player considering in past years, he has been known to dominate this tournament. This is yet another reason why his win was such a massive deal for him and proves how nothing held him back from playing his best.

A Sage student immersively views the 2023 Australian Open Final. As stakes are high for the serb, this quite literally kept him on the edge of his seat. (Photo By Mark Kopman)

Still, to this day, Djokovic faces similar issues to those in recent years.

“I just have to say this: Only the team and family knows what we’ve been through in the last four or five weeks,” Djokovic said this January.

With victory, not only did the Serb feel pride in his great accomplishment but also had an emotional experience knowing all the obstacles he’s overcome to be in this position. Climbing atop the stands, he and his team all shared hugs of embrace, tears of joy and exacerbation in a truly heartwarming moment.

During his speech at the annual AO Men’s Ceremony, Djokovic made a remark on the incredible potential of his opponent, Tsitsipas, which also applies to other young stars such as Carlos Alcarez, Frances Tiafoe and many others. Beyond this noble remark, he also called out to all the up-and-coming tennis players who live in more remote areas of the world, that, though they may have few inspirations to look up to in sports, they still have a chance to defy all odds and reach above any expectations.

Senior and striving tennis athlete Noah Kopman reflects upon Djokovic’s major achievement.

“It was a really great achievement and moving forward, he will set the stone to inspire many upcoming tennis players, especially in the types of countries he mentioned during his speech,” Kopman said. “Watching him is definitely inspiring, seeing the power and thoughts behind each of his shots and will make me want to be a better player this upcoming season. I think he really deserves this win with all that has happened to him.”

Djokovic has been known to “tame his game” in situations such as in his match against Nick Kyrios in last year’s Wimbledon final, where he was aced a total of 30 times, yet still managed to secure the victory. So yes, odds are not always in his favor, but as soon as he steps on the court where expectations are high, as Kyrios stated, “He is a bit of a God.”

It goes without saying that Novak Djokovic is an outstanding athlete, a killer on the court, a genuine person and someone with unbelievable mental strength, as considered by many. He has and will continue to be an inspiration for people on and off the court and, alongside other greats like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, will live on as a tennis legend.

After all the issues he has conquered, Djokovic reflects on what this win means to him in a few words.  

“This probably, I would say, is the biggest victory in my life, considering the circumstances.”

• R

Real Keanu ReevesFeb 9, 2023 at 9:21 am

Grand Slam like Denny’s?