Midterm Election Results are Pouring in: Updates

The+Sage+covers+the+2022+Midterm+Elections+as+results+come+in.+Local+election+results+will+be+displayed+and+updated+below.+
Graphic by Jacob Dougherty
The Sage covers the 2022 Midterm Elections as results come in. Local election results will be displayed and updated below.

Last updated on 11/15/22 at 8:52:15. Information via San Diego Registrar of Voters

Midterm elections just concluded, and now counting begins for ballots from around the country. So far, in San Diego county, there are still 500,000 outstanding ballots, so all results below are preliminary. Here are some of the most important elections for the state of California and Carlsbad’s community.

Governor

Race Called: Gavin Newsom wins

GAVIN NEWSOM (DEM) – 528,784 votes (55.45%)

BRIAN DAHLE (REP) – 424,864 votes (44.55%)

The governor of California implements state laws and oversees the operation of the state executive branch.

State Superintendent of Public Instruction 

Race Called: Tony Thurmond Wins

TONY K. THURMOND – 461,905 votes (60.23%)

LANCE RAY CHRISTENSEN – 305,028 votes (39.77%)

The California State Superintendent of Public Instruction enforces the State Board of Education’s policies, distributes state education funds, issues school materials and supplies and many other activities involving California’s school systems.

United States Representative 49th District

Race Called: Mike Levin wins

MIKE LEVIN (DEM) – 95,854 votes (56.77%)

BRIAN MARYOTT (REP) – 73,007 votes (43.23%)

United States Representatives, also known as house members, introduce bills and resolutions, offer amendments and serve on committees.

State Assembly 77th District

Race Called: Tasha Boerner Horvath wins

TASHA BOERNER HORVATH (DEM) – 111,442 votes (60.24%)

DAN DOWNEY (REP) – 73,560 votes (39.76%)

State Assembly members are assigned to various committees to review bills concerning their district.

Carlsbad Unified School Board Area 1

MICHELE TSUTAGAWA WARD – 2,636 votes (57.16%)

SHARON MCKEEMAN – 1,976 votes (42.84%)

Carlsbad Unified School Board Area 4

GRETCHEN VURBEFF – 3,416 votes (52.42%)

JENNIFER FORNAL – 3,101 votes (47.58%)

Carlsbad Unified School Board Area 5

KATHY RALLINGS – 2,766 votes (55.98%)

SCOTT DAVISON – 2,175 votes (44.02%)

School board members help govern the community’s public schools. For more information on these candidates, visit this article.

City of Carlsbad Mayor 

Race Called: Keith Blackburn wins

KEITH BLACKBURN – 30,492 votes (68.57%)

MICHAEL CURTIN – 13,975 votes (31.43%)

The Carlsbad mayor is responsible for all city administration and leads the city council.

Carlsbad City Council District 1

MELANIE BURKHOLDER – 3,744 votes (38.55%)

SAM WARD – 3,533 votes (36.37%)

Carlsbad City Council District 3

PRIYA BHAT-PATEL – 6,635 votes (55.03%)

RAY PEARSON – 5,423 votes (44.97%)

City Council members introduce and vote on legislation having to do with all aspects of city life and negotiate the City’s budget with the Mayor and approve its adoption.

California Proposition 1: Reproductive Freedom

Race Called: Reproductive Freedom now included in California Constitution

YES – 596,475 votes (63.93%)

NO   – 336,586 votes (36.07%)

Proposition 1 changes the California Constitution to say that the state cannot deny or interfere with a person’s reproductive freedom and that people have the fundamental right to choose contraceptives or abortion. “Yes” votes in favor of this change, while “no” is in opposition.

California Proposition 28: Additional Funding for Art and Music Education

Race Called: More funding will be provided for art and music education

YES – 566,929 votes (60.90%)

NO   – 363,947 votes (39.10%))

Proposition 28 states the state must set aside some of its revenue to fund arts and music education in K-12 public schools. All schools would receive some funding for each student. Schools serving many low-income students would receive more money. Funding would allow schools to hire new staff and pay for training and supplies. This proposition would cost approximately one billion dollars per year. “Yes” votes in favor of funding, while “no” votes in opposition.

City of Carlsbad Measure J: Monroe Street Pool Renovation

YES – 23,998 votes (51.11%)

NO   – 22,953 votes (48.89%)

This measure approves spending in an amount to exceed $1 million for the Monroe Street Pool Renovation for an estimated cost range of $22 million up to $24 million. “Yes” votes in favor of the project, while “no” votes in opposition.