What to Expect: Stranger Things Season 4

A+set+of+the+four+different+season+four+teaser+posters+for+Stranger+Things.+The+new+season+will+occur+six+months+after+the+events+in+the+season+three+finale.++
Photo Taken From editorial.rottentomatoes.com
A set of the four different season four teaser posters for Stranger Things. The new season will occur six months after the events in the season three finale.

Attention: This article may contain spoilers

When the third season of the Netflix Original series, Stranger Things, aired way back in July of 2019, fans rushed to binge-watch the entire new season filled with mysterious creatures, storylines and more. Ending with more than a few cliffhangers, viewers were eager for another season. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, filming was put on hold, pushing the series back for about three years.

Finally, after what feels like forever, fans will finally receive the answers to all their questions regarding Stranger Things as the first part of the fourth season will be airing on Netflix on May 27. The season will be released in two parts with the second half being released on July 1.

Season four will consist of nine episodes, ranging from 60 minutes or longer. Here is the list of each episode’s title:                                              

• Episode 1: The Hellfire Club
  • Episode 2: Vecna’s Curse
  • Episode 3: The Monster and the Superhero
  • Episode 4: Dear Billy
  • Episode 5: The Nina Project
  • Episode 6: The Dive
  • Episode 7: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab
  • Episode 8: Papa
  • Episode 9: The Piggyback

So expect a lengthy, action-packed season as each episode cost $30 million to produce.  

What can we expect to see from the season itself? We know that all the regular cast members will be returning for this new season, except for Dacre Montgomery who plays Billy, confirming that he did definitely die in season three. Many new actors will also join us with new characters as well, including:

• Robert Englund playing as Victor Creel, a mysterious man who is a patient at a psychiatric hospital 
  • Eduardo Franco as Argyle, who is a pizza delivery boy and a new friend of Jonathan
  • Jamie Campbell Bower playing Peter Ballard, an attendant at a psychiatric hospital
  • Sherman Augustus as Lt. Colonel Sullivan, a man that believes he has the knowledge to end all evil in Hawkins
  • Mason Dye playing as Jason Carver, an attractive and wealthy athlete who is dating the most popular girl in school
  • Tom Wlaschiha as Dmitri, a Russian prison guard
  • Nikola Djuricko playing Yuri, a Russian smuggler known for his love jokes, cash and crunchy style peanut butter
  • Joseph Quinn as Eddie Munson, the leader of the Hawkins High D&D Club called The Hellfire Club.

In addition to the large number of new characters that will be introduced and developed over the season, we have teasers from the season four trailer released on April 12. 

Based on the trailer and from what was revealed in the season three finale, we know that Eleven, who is now powerless, has moved to California with the Byers, where she is struggling to adapt to her new home. We also know that Hopper, who was thought to have died at the end of season three, is actually alive, being held against his will by the Russians who have been dangerously experimenting with the Upside-Down.

The new season will take place six months after the season three finale, giving insight into the Byers’ and Elevens’ new home. It will focus on how the characters left behind in Hawkins are adapting to life without Eleven and the Byers. This season will heavily focus on Max and her life after losing her brother Billy as well.

The main antagonist for the new season will be Vecna, a D&D villain. Vecna was a wizard up until the World of Greyhawk campaign when the character transformed into a lich. This ensures that the majority of season four will be heavily based on the Stranger Things’ characters becoming involved in the game, Dungeons and Dragons

When Stranger Things first premiered back in July of 2016, The Duffer Brothers had planned out the entire storyline for the series, estimating to produce the show within four to five seasons. So will this be the final season of the popular and beloved Stranger Things? The answer is no according to the Duffer Brothers.

“At the time, we predicted the story would last four to five seasons,” the Duffer Brothers said. “It proved too large to tell in four, but — as you’ll soon see for yourselves — we are now hurtling towards our finale. Season 4 will be the penultimate season; season 5 will be the last.”