Camila Cabello’s Familia Album Wows Listeners With its Variety of Emotions

There’s nothing like familia! That is the main theme of singer and songwriter Camila Cabello’s new album “Familia,” released this year on April 8. Written during the COVID-19 pandemic, it provided an escape for Cabello to release her emotions through music, while also forming an album that has skyrocketed in fame.

In this third album, the Cuban-American 25-year-old singer combines Latin and pop-style music with famous guest singers such as Ed Sheeran, Willow and Maria Becerra. With twelve songs on this album, “Bam Bam” has had the most success out of them all, reaching number 13 on the U.S Billboard Global 200. “Bam Bam” consists of Cabello singing about her breakup with ex-pop singer Shawn Mendez, with guest musician Ed Sheeran.                        

Even though “Bam Bam” has risen in fame as the most listened to song in the album, “Don’t Go Yet” has also been successful being the first song in the 12-song album. This song is inspired by food, family and company. Camila Cabello shared on Twitter her reasoning and purpose for this pop-style bop.

“To me, those are the moments that make me glad to be alive, those moments of collective joy & true vulnerability & connection with other people,” Cabello wrote. 

Since her break up with Shawn Mendes in November 2021, the “Familia” album was rumored to be a breakup album filled with pain and heartbreak. However, Cabello proved these rumors to be wrong by mentioning that she is “feeling better than ever”, and the majority of the album’s songs are diverse and deal with the topic of breakup as well as romance (“Quiet”) and anxiety (“Psychofreak”).

Cenae Colefield, a sophomore at Sage Creek who has listened to Cabello’s new album, thinks that this album is a must-listen because the audience can connect and relate to the songs.  

“Her music is really good, she’s different from most people,” Colefield said. “This album you can relate to it, such as family and you can understand it.”

Songs in general have a major impact on people’s emotions and way of expressing themselves. They provide a creative outlet and escape for people to express what they are feeling such as anger, anxiety, love, fear, confusion and much more.

Aleesha George, Spanish teacher at Sage Creek High explains how Camila Cabello has a unique and individual style that has left a huge impact on generations so they know it’s ok to have emotions, and expressing them through music is extremely helpful.

“Her music is enjoyable, and I do like how she tries to bring in sounds from her background,” George said. “She is bringing [the Cuban cultural sounds] and that representation into mainstream culture, she also throws in the language too which is nice…”

George also stated how music really does have a huge impact on listeners by helping them cope and express their emotions.

“Music and songs are super powerful because it’s closely tied with people’s identities and how they express themselves… it’s intrinsic to people living and thriving and showing who they are and what they enjoy,” George said.

Camila Cabello’s album has proven to the world that she can deal with heartbreak by coming out stronger than ever and producing an album filled with her culture as well as a way to release the emotions she has been feeling. “Familia” album is available on Spotify and on any other music platforms.