Best Ways to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

Every year, St. Patrick’s Day falls on March 17 and people are getting prepared to wear green and have chocolate gold coins. There are many more Irish traditions you could apply to your celebrations this year, that aren’t just the traditional traditions.

One of the most festive ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day are parades! There are two well-known parades in New York City and Chicago. They are both huge hits each year, and the New York City parade reaches at least two million attendees yearly. Watch it in the comfort of your own home on March 17.

Chicago’s St. Patrick’s Day parade is on March 12 this year. Green dying of the Chicago River is the main way Chicagoans celebrate “St Paddy’s Day,” as well as the parade.

A parade that doesn’t require traveling to Chicago or New York and you can attend in person is the 40th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Festival in San Diego on March 12 in Balboa Park. More than 120 floats including bagpipers, firefighters, police officers, and marching bands participate each year. A beer garden and a live band are other activities you can visit.

Switching the attention off of parades, let’s move onto common Irish eats to make for a household or friends. 

Soda bread tastes just like a biscuit with its mild flavor and thick texture. Instead of yeast being used to make it rise, baking soda and buttermilk replace the need for yeast. 

Corned beef and cabbage is an authentic Irish dish. It is a tender corned beef brisket served with a side of cabbage.

In fact, corned beef and cabbage is the most popular dish sold at Muldoon’s Irish Pub in Newport Beach. 

Corbin, the general manager for Muldoons mentioned how busy it can get, especially during St. Patrick’s Day. 

“We do tend to be very full all day but people usually enjoy putting their name in for a table, enjoying a drink or two at one of the pubs while they wait for a table,” Corbin stated. “It’s a very lively and fun environment. We have bagpipers come through too. NBC News will be doing a live segment from our front entrance this year, showcasing our popular dishes.”

You might be able to watch Muldoons’ feature on NBC this year! A popular dish that might be mentioned on the live segment as well is Corbin’s personal favorite dish, the Trinity Dip Sandwich.

“Carved prime rib, cooked rare, then brought to a medium rare in our au jus so it retains all the moisture and flavor, served with a thin spread of creamy horseradish sauce on a toasted french roll with melted swiss, grilled mushrooms and onions. Served with our au jus and an extra side of creamy horseradish. Super good!”

Shepherds pie is a staple Irish dish that is made with lamb or beef on the bottom layer, carrots and peas in the second layer combined with a gravy made of beer and other seasonings, and the top layer is mashed potato with cheese as a garnish on top. 

Shepherd’s pie is served at a local Irish pub called Hennessey’s Tavern in Carlsbad Village. Their Shepherd’s Pie is a “Traditional Irish dish of ground beef & diced vegetables, in a savory burgundy wine sauce, topped with garlic mashed potatoes & served with fresh vegetables.”

Leila Morrow, a customer at Hennesey’s Tavern says she really enjoys the food there and the ambiance.

“I ordered the ‘Irishman’s Burger’,” Morrow stated. “It was really good and I liked the french fried onions on top. I recommend this place to locals and people looking for somewhere to go on St. Patrick’s Day.”

If any of these meals are made in your household, you will be showing your true St. Patrick’s Day spirit!

Irish dancing is truly entertaining to watch. The dancers have stiff bodies, all except for their legs. Their legs move rapidly and they have quick, precise foot movements. 

Whether it is teaching yourself a bit of Irish dancing from a Youtube video, watching it on TV, or attending an Irish dancing performance, it is a fun activity to do to celebrate the day!

Attending a Catholic mass is another popular tradition to do during St. Patrick’s Day. Since St. Patrick’s Day falls during Lent, it is tradition for Irish families to attend mass in the morning and celebrate in the afternoons. 

All in all, there are many more festive activities to do, other than wearing green. Whether it is attending a parade, cooking up some Irish food, attending Catholic mass, or watching Irish dancing on TV, these activities are worth giving a try.