BESHOCK: Glocalizing Ramen in Carlsbad

Decorated from front to back with beautiful golden decorations, japanese-style furniture, smiling employees and happy customers, BESHOCK Ramen & Sake Bar gives a warm feeling to those who eat there; and not just from the steaming ramen you can purchase. 

BESHOCK Ramen & Sake Bar is a ramen, sake and sushi shop established in 2020, with multiple joints across San Diego. Their food is famous among customers for its array of delicious options, well-prepared meals and hardworking employees.

The inside of Beshock: Ramen and Sake Bar. The inside has an array of tables to sit at. (Photo by Jon Cowart)

Most of Beshock’s iconic meals are of Japanese origin, such as ramen, a noodle soup originating from Yokohama, sake, an alcoholic beverage made from fermenting rice, and of course sushi, small rolls of cold rice garnished with vegetables, fish, eggs or other meats. 

BESHOCK can be found in The Shoppes at Carlsbad, 2525 El Camino Real, in building number 211. They’re open from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The name BESHOCK originates from the Japanese word “bishoku,” meaning “the beauty of food.” The employees stick to this phrase, making sure their food is not only visually appetizing but also delicious.

Kiki Ahearn, a customer of the restaurant, specifically appreciates the work put into the meals they provide.

“It’s very high-quality ramen,” Ahearn said. “Other places just don’t taste quite as good.”

Options exist for all kinds of people, including plant-based ramen and sushi for vegan or vegetarian customers or allergen-friendly meals for customers with allergies. If there’s something in your meal you’re not particularly a fan of, employees are happy to take out any ingredients in their ramen bowls at the customers’ request. 

Some of their popular meals include spicy miso ramen, california rolls, beef rib ramen, tan tan ramen, vegan ramen, tonkotsu black ramen and their most popular menu item, the BESHOCK umami ramen, but you’re not limited to just those; a whole menu of appetizers like pork buns, edamame, ice cream mochi, takoyaki, gyoza and monaka or meals like pork chashu bowls, nagoya karaage bowls, ahi poke bowls, black garlic ramen, and curry bowls are available as well.

A photo of the vegan ramen. The bowl is filled with vegetable broth, thick noodles, tofu, tomato, asparagus, grilled corn, cauliflower and broccoli. (Photo by Jon Cowart)

Another aspect of the restaurant is the wonderful customer service; the staff members are extremely polite and hardworking when it comes to their jobs.

Lucille Nhan, a skillful employee working at the restaurant since it opened in February 2020, shared her experiences working there.

“The team members and the owners we have here really care about the team,” Nhan stated. “Everybody gets along.”

The food has been very well-received by customers, considering their 4 ½ stars and countless positive reviews on Yelp. The low prices of such large meals, topped with the excellent flavor of the food and myriad of options, leave patrons always coming back for more.

Ellie Cagle, a fan of the restaurant, discussed her appreciation of the restaurant.

“The service and quality of their food is really great,” Cagle said. “I love all the add-ons you can choose from.”

So next time you’re visiting the mall and craving some delicious noodles, stop by and try some at BESHOCK Ramen & Sake Bar!