Madison McLean’s Lasting Impact On The Girls Varsity Soccer Team

During the winter season, a teacher at Sage Creek ends her day of educating students on mathematics and starts her afternoon as a coach for the girl’s varsity soccer team.

The girl’s varsity soccer team takes a team photo after winning the Division 3 CIF title in 2021. The girls won the game 2-0 over La Jolla High School. (Photo taken from @scgsoccer)

Madison McLean, who is an Intermediate Algebra, Pre-Calc Honors, Algebra 2, and Math Analysis teacher is in her fifth year teaching at SCHS.

“[I] teach all day. After I teach I go home or go tutor,” McLean said. “When the season starts, I go straight from school, right down to the field. I like to be involved in the freshmen and the JV training sessions if I can, and then varsity is obviously going to be later in the evenings.”

In 2021, McLean accepted the position of varsity coach and led the team to a CIF victory.

Emily Nelson, a senior and captain on the girl’s varsity team was a key component of their victory at CIF last year.

“One of the best moments of my life was winning CIF last year with this team,” Nelson said. “This year, we moved up a division, so I think it would be amazing to take another championship title.”

McLean has been preparing nonstop for the upcoming season, she started the school year off with a Fall Camp, brought in a performance coach in August, and is planning on bringing in a psychology coach.

Sage Creek girls soccer players train in the weight room, every Monday, during the fall weight training camp. This 10-week program is designed to help the girls prepare for the upcoming season by getting in shape and becoming stronger. (Photo courtesy of Madison McLean)

“[They] are going to work with the girls on mindset and that growth mindset but also being aware of how important it is to be present in a game and not have your mind control your play, instead of being present, not letting outside factors control how you show up to each game.”

Alongside Nelson, Rylie McLaren is one of three captains, kicking off her fourth year on varsity.

“I believe the Fall Camp will be successful in making the team physically and mentally stronger,” McLaren said. “I feel confident that the camp will advance our team in ways that will set us apart from other teams.”

As McLean ends her day of being a coach, she strives to always remind her team of her goal.

“I want things to be focused on fun and personal growth, and not playing to be recruited, but playing for each other and your team,” McLean said. “I want to teach them that you can still find success and do well with a different approach and a different goal in mind. Not [just] college but that goal of enjoyment and having fun and finding success that way.”

• L

Lauren ShoreOct 5, 2021 at 3:23 pm

What an amazing young woman ! We love you!
    Such a great article ! Very well written.

• R

Ryan Shore aka DaddioOct 5, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Madison McLean is such a stud! Best coach and daughter ever….says her biggest fan! Daddio