Students Feelings On the Possibility of Another COVID-19 Shutdown

Quarantine ll
Freshman+Blake+Hafner+practices+on+his+guitar.+Looking+down+at+it+and+expressing+his+enjoyment+for+music.+
Photo courtesy of Blake Hafner
Freshman Blake Hafner practices on his guitar. Looking down at it and expressing his enjoyment for music.

What if everything went back to normal, all students would go back to school and be told they are safe. Then, just a few weeks later, another outbreak comes and Quarantine ll is born.

Research at The Lancet has shown that quarantine has many physiological effects on students and adults alike, producing frustration, stress, and boredom. 

Another source of stress for members of Sage Creek and numerous other high schools is the new changes and workload made for remote learning. 

Students have now been struggling with workloads and feelings of loneliness more frequently than usual. 

“It’s not very fun in general, especially when you can’t go outside,” said freshmen Blake Hafner, “I just felt really lonely.”

Others have confided in their environment without any activities to do, “we’re already restricted from feeling things as it is,” junior Isabel Evans said. 

Many have failed to cope well in quarantine. The possibility of another restrictive circumstance helped them realize that difficulties will be confronted, yet, still realizing that staying home is important. 

Students describe their frustration, nevertheless, understanding the necessity of the situation. 

“I would feel very frustrated. But I would also realize that it’s for the best,” Hafner said. 

Freshman Lillian Brown has a similar perspective on the topic. 

“I obviously would be a little bit sad,” Lillian Brown said, ”…we have to stay home to get this under control, and then we can go back sooner.” 

Others had different opinions about another lockdown. 

“I would feel absolutely terrible,” Evans said, “… [we should] enjoy what we want to do rather than live in this fear.”

For Evans, the best way for her to handle this circumstance is by allowing herself to live in her own freedom, without needing to worry about what everyone else tells her to do. 

Evans looks at her guitar and starts playing music. She stayed focused, allowing herself to learn more about her craft. (Photo courtesy of Isabel Evans)

Carlsbad High School freshman Carly Rae Jones has her own outlook on quarantine ll. As a teen, undergoing quarantine ll would be hard for Jones.

“Knowing that things are back to normal and then all of a sudden, we’re back at the beginning,” said Jones.

Countless high schoolers have attempted to solve quarantine’s negative effects by experiencing new opportunities. 

“[Quarantine] gives a lot of time to self reflect and find new hobbies and spend time with your family,” Jones said.

Hobbies are keeping students from boredom. Allowing for more interesting moments with their families and activities.

Sophomore Michaela Sherman enjoys playing games with her little brother. 

”I’ve been playing a lot more games with my little brother recently so it’s been fun [to do] that,” Sherman said.

She was able to find joy in something she was not expecting. 

“Even though [my brother] is [someone who] drives me crazy,” Sherman said, “it has been fun to play with him because it’s kept me occupied.”

Sherman is trying new activities. She is having fun in ways that were unexpecting to her. Now, both siblings are now developing new areas in their friendship. 

Lillian Brown has more hours to spare, taking the opportunity to increase her painting skills. She has found the activity to be extremely creative and useful.

“I had all these [artistic] ideas and I never did them, I finally started to use them.”

Lillian Brown has been partaking in family activities as well. She and her brother have been skateboarding around their neighborhood. Having fun together as a family.

Freshmen Lilian Brown and her brother are skateboarding while math teacher Agatha Brown walks their dog throughout the neighborhood. The Browns made sure to stay safe and have fun as a family, removing their mind from all stressors of quarantine. (Photo Courtesy of Agatha Brown)

To celebrate birthdays, the Brown family drives to their friends’ houses to say “Happy Birthday” from afar. 

“[We are] learning how to celebrate people from afar, not necessarily having birthday parties but still making people feel loved and cared for,” said math teacher Agatha Brown, Lilian’s mother. 

Evans and numerous other students have had enough of social distancing. Allowing herself to go outside and associate with others in her own way.

“I’d rather talk to a person than a lousy internet connection,” said Evans, “because it’s face to face, we can connect with each other better.” 

All students have their own opinions about what to do in these difficult times, however, students can now adapt to unusual circumstances in a more flexible manner. 

Through receiving a multitude of online assignments, Lillian Brown received a further understanding of technological devices. 

She can use and learn about important online resources that may balance the workload from school and assist her in the professional world. 

One resource the school has provided to help students is Dist. 2.0 Help flyer. It explains a few tips that can help students feel secure and successful. 

Hafner has improved his listening skills. A useful ability that will help him interpret assignments from Sage Creek and work efficiently in future jobs. 

A study revealed how communication can help develop professional and casual relationships, “excellent listening practices tell others that they are important, special, and what they have to say is valued.”

The Brown family drives to their friends’ house to say happy birthday from afar. Even with all the social distancing rules, they were able to make their friends feel appreciated. (Photo Courtesy of Agatha Brown)

When professional relationships are developed, promotions, successful business deals, and new opportunities can be presented. 

On the other hand, Evans demonstrates that one of the only forms of developing communication skills is with physical interaction, not through an online presence.

“How are [students] going to be able to apply for jobs?” Evans said, “how [will they] interact with their future boss or employer?” 

Quarantine has already been troublesome for most, nevertheless, many teachers care about their students and want to express their appreciation. 

Agatha Brown wants to have fun and laugh with her students throughout the year.

“Just finding ways to connect with kids and making sure that they know I care,” Agatha Brown said. 

Quarantine can teach high schoolers how to prevent and prepare for a quarantine ll through the use of important health guidelines. Such as, washing hands, wearing masks, washing groceries, and staying home when sick. 

Second, adaptability has increased. The stressors during quarantine will serve as a benefit. 

Third, as a result of the stressors in the lockdown, many in the Carlsbad highschool community have a higher possibility of succeeding when financial or emotional stress appears. 

Finally, high schoolers learned to embrace their difficulties by doing what feels normal to themselves.

This year and its circumstances have been hard to adapt to. Still, It is up to the individual to see the current circumstance as a positive or negative.