Small Businesses Have Been Negatively Affected by the Order of Gavin Newsom

Gavin Newsom Fails to Save Small Businesses
California+Gov.+Gavin+Newsom+speaks+to+reporters+about+the+states+response+to+the+coronavirus+during+a+news+conference+in+Sacramento%2C+Calif.+Newsom%2C+a+Democrat+who+leads+the+nations+most+populous+state%2C+has+won+praise+from+both+sides+of+the+aisle+for+his+approach+to+the+coronavirus+crisis+though+hes+been+less+aggressive+than+some+other+governors+and+local+leaders.+Newsom+is+accompanied+by+California+Department+of+Public+Heath+Director+and+State+Health+Officer+Dr+Sonia+Angell%2C+left%2C+and+California+Health+and+Human+Services+Agency+Director+Dr.+Mark+Ghaly%2C+right.+
AP
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks to reporters about the state’s response to the coronavirus during a news conference in Sacramento, Calif. Newsom, a Democrat who leads the nation’s most populous state, has won praise from both sides of the aisle for his approach to the coronavirus crisis though he’s been less aggressive than some other governors and local leaders. Newsom is accompanied by California Department of Public Heath Director and State Health Officer Dr Sonia Angell, left, and California Health and Human Services Agency Director Dr. Mark Ghaly, right.

Gavin Newsom, the governor of the state of California, was tasked with leading the state through one of the biggest crises in the 21st century: the coronavirus pandemic. During this time, Governor Newsom has demonstrated to the residents of this state that he was not ready, or prepared to deal with the pandemic and as a result, hundreds of small businesses have permanently closed.

Recently, Governor Newsom signed an order establishing the month of July to be a state celebration for small business owners due to their hard work and determination in getting their business set up to the new COVID-19 guidelines. Of course, he is promoting the small business and encouraging people to support them but the governor fails to give business owners the financial aid they need to stay open.

“During California for All Small Business Month, we are proud to launch the Calling All Californians: Shop Safe Shop Local campaign to lift up our small businesses, their employees and the neighborhoods they serve.” Gavin Newsom said in his proclamation issued on July 6.

A series of laws were recently passed in the last few weeks, including SB 1447, SB 115, and AB 1577. The law that stands out to a lot of businesses the most is SB 1477, which states that small businesses are eligible for a $1,000 net increase per employee they hire; the most they can receive is $100,000. 

Although this can be very useful to some businesses it still leaves out the hundreds of other businesses that are family-owned and operated, in which most of the staff consists of family members. It is a good thing that this was established but why wasn’t it done when people were struggling in the months of April-July? Why didn’t they get compensation?

“This bill will help small businesses that are working hard to persist despite COVID-19 by supporting them as they hire or re-hire employees,” State Senator Bradford said.

SB 1383 was passed Sept. 17, which grants employees the right to go on leave to treat a newborn child, treat the illness of a family member, or deal with their own sickness. Of course, this law is a relief to thousands of workers in California, but Newsom passing this now and not in the past demonstrates his weak and incompetent leadership. In the months of April-July, California needed a leader, someone who would step up and protect the rights of the residents of this state.

“Californians deserve to be able to take time off to care for themselves or a sick family member without fearing they’ll lose their job,” Governor Newsom said.

A small business located in La Costa called Tiny’s Shoe Repair discussed their struggles with the COVID-19 pandemic. None of the governor’s latest laws and financial programs apply to their business since she has no employees; it’s only her and her husband. Luckily, she didn’t have to close any operations down but she did have some things she needed to cut back on.

“I didn’t close at all, I cut off some expenses,” Chong C, the owner of the shop, said. “For example, I cut off the landline phone and no more credit services.”

Luckily for Tiny’s Shoe Repair, they were able to stay in business during this tough time and managed to continue operations normally. However, much of the financial relief that Governor Newsom signed into law did not apply to this business.

We as a community deserve better. Newsom has demonstrated his weak leadership during this pandemic and, as a result, small businesses have suffered. Due to his weak handling of the virus, hundreds of businesses had to permanently close their doors, and now, much later, he is just now getting things done to help small businesses. 

• A

Andrew EmdeOct 21, 2020 at 10:17 pm

This article is very good. FInally a differing view from the things normally put on this website.