Streaming Online VS. Cable

Streaming movies and shows becomes more popular due to their lower costs, however, some argue that cable still has significant pros despite the hefty bill.

In a world where people can find things online with the click of a few keys and no more than $100 dollars per month, streaming online has become more and more popular, as people can simply find what they want to watch on any streaming platform.

Deciding between services can be difficult, so here are some pros and cons to help you decide:

Streaming Online:

• Pro #1: The prices of streaming online are definitely cheaper than watching cable on TV. In fact, Netflix, the Mecca of all popular movies, costs as low as $7.99/month, with the first month free. Others such as Hulu Plus cost $7.99/month and Amazon at $79/year, averaging out to a little over $6.50/month (not including all the other perks of Amazon Prime). Not to mention, there are no cancellation fees or contracts.

• Pro #2: Binging TV shows like “The Office,”“Gossip Girl,” or “Friends” is easier on streaming platforms.
  • Pro #3: Not all houses have televisions in every room, so it is easier to have a device that can stream these shows with Internet.
  • Pro #4: Commericals can get extremely annoying and repetitive but with streaming, there aren’t many commercials or advertisements.
  • Pro #5: If shows aren’t updated frequently on streaming services, they can most likely be found on the application made by the same network that broadcasted, or found on YouTube.

• Con #1: Without the Internet, there is no possible way to watch these shows, unless the device works on data.
  • Con #2: Streaming platforms, like Netflix and Hulu, do not offer sports games and events. However, games and other sporting events can typically be found on YouTube or other phone applications.  
  • Con #3: Some streaming services don’t have instant updates on shows.  For example, Netflix does not update their selections until a few months later. However, there is a new and rising star to the streaming world: Playstation Vue. This brand new system is extremely essential for all the shows found on cable stations and it is much more updated than other streaming platforms. They stream HBO, sports, and news starting at $40/month.

Cable:

• Pro #1: Watching cable can be easy due to the fact that people can watch their shows when they are originally aired.
  • Pro #2: Keeping up with sports and news are two main reasons why people stay with cable, as it is easier to get the update on nightly news and Monday night football.
  • Pro #3: Most cable packages offer DVR storage for movies and shows that people record.

• Con #1: The price of cable manages to keep growing and growing, causing most people to cut the cord. In fact, for the Carlsbad zip code of 92008, the minimum cable bill starts at $26.99/month with DIRECTV Programming and ranges to $125.00/mont.
  • Con #2: Without a DVR, watching commercials can be painful to watch, with the exception of Super Bowl commercials. However, they’ll most likely be on YouTube by then.

To find out what students prefer at Sage Creek High School, a survey was sent out to 50 students asking them if they like watching cable or streaming online better.

Streaming in those votes.

Students were also asked which streaming service they prefer.

Obviously, Netflix is chilling.

3

As evident from the poll results, most students prefer watching netflix. Aurora Cox, a junior, and her family have not had cable for the past three years due to the high monthly bills her parents were paying.

Cutting the cord was a “cheaper option for us. Plus it allows everyone in the family to watch on separate devices” Cox said.

However some argue that cable is necessary for reason such as sports. Ethan Shoemaker, another junior, has both cable and subscribes to Netflix, however “choosing the one [he] likes more is harder” Shoemaker said.

“I don’t know because I can’t watch football on Netflix, and I can’t watch all the Office episodes on cable” Shoemaker said.

Another junior, Krisha Rode, primarily streams her shows on Netflix as well.

“Netflix is more convenient, has a lot of shows, and there are no commercials” Rode said.

According to the survey and students opinions, Sage Creek students prominently stream online. This being said, streaming is not just good for “chilling” but can also save a few dollars.

1