Physical Education during Virtual Learning

“It’s not ideal, but we’re making everything work, while sticking to our standards that we have in PE. It’s a lot different, but everything is a lot different right now.”

As students return to school virtually, PE teachers have been finding innovative ways to keep students active and accountable. As online school continues, keeping students responsible has been one of the new challenges faced by teachers at Sage Creek. 

Danny Kung, who has taught PE at Sage Creek for six years,  is one of thousands of PE teachers in the United States who had to find new ways to keep students engaged when the lockdown began in March. 

Danny Kung, PE teacher, has been finding new ways to keep students active. With virtual learning extended, Kung, and thousands of PE teachers are working to make PE workouts accessible for students.

“Making sure that everyone is checking in that they’re getting work done,” Kung said. “It has kind of brought it back to feel  normal. It’s a little bit different in the fact that we’re still not in person but I definitely think what we have currently, keeps everyone more responsible than they were in the Spring.  We use ‘EdPuzzle’, so we can monitor if they’re completing the work right. When students are working out, we’re asking for screenshots of their running app, or if they’re doing a workout, we have them timelapse and film everything that they usually do and they upload that so we can see that it’s getting done.”

Kung’s PE classes have been a mix of guided lessons and independent workouts, giving students the opportunity to learn and exercise.

“I think virtual PE [is] running the best it can while in these tough times,” freshmen, Carter Halenza said. “Lately I have not been a fan of some of the ‘EdPuzzle workouts’ compared to the independent workouts.”

With students at home and without weights, Kung has, “had to get really creative with the workouts.”

Danny Kung’s workout setup. “I use my laptop and an old plasma [TV],” Kung said. “When I’m teaching directly, I switch to my laptop and monitor and sit at the table.”
“I know some people have weights, [for students who do not have weights] you gotta use your backpacks, throw in books, lift weights that way. As weird as it sounds, virtually, I can do more, I can get into more nutrition, the structuring of workouts, but I am still trying to cover all the regular stuff with them.”

“Dancing is one of the easiest ways to get your body moving”, according to the education blog, ‘We Are Teachers’, students are being encouraged to dance as a form of exercise. 

With online school likely continuing into 2021,  it is likely Kung and thousands of  PE teachers will be conducting PE online for the foreseeable future.

“It’s not ideal,” Kung said. “But we’re making everything work, while sticking to our standards that we have in PE. It’s a lot different, but everything is a lot different right now.”