Motorcycles: A New Community At Sage Creek

California is one of the few states in America that allows lane splitting with motorcycles, making it an extremely efficient mode of transportation. Here at Sage Creek, a few students have decided to take advantage of this efficiency.

When walking through the parking lot of Sage Creek in the mornings, there are a few things that stand out. The motorcycles. Usually, they’re all parked right next to each other in the upper lot by the roundabout.

Photo by Duke Donnelly
When driving or walking up to the upper parking lot, on the right you can usually find 3 or 4 motorcycles parked next to each other looking over the road. The riders, Jameson (J.T.) Miller, Kadin Coddington, Isaiah Felix-Chan and Jackson Buckley form the small, tight-knit motorcycle community here at Sage Creek.

Motorcycles are commonly thought of as incredibly dangerous compared to cars, but quite a few students have decided to take the risk and start utilizing these bikes for transportation.

“I got into it because [of] money. I mean, I pay absolutely nothing in insurance; [only] 150 dollars a year. I pay, like, 12 dollars a week in gas. That’s what originally turned me onto it”.

This is senior Jameson Miller, commonly known as JT. He is one of a small group of friends that motorcycle to school.

“I mean, I pay absolutely nothing in insurance; [only] 150 dollars a year. I pay, like, 12 dollars a week in gas. That’s what originally turned me onto it”.

“I’ve been riding for… soon to be 2 years. I know 3 other people that ride… it’s not big but there’s [a community] here”.

He also has some safety tips for those who decide they want to start riding motorcycles.

“It’s a really dangerous sport, but it’s really fun. You just have to make sure that [in] your first year, you’re really careful with the way you ride.”

Photo by Duke Donnelley
The motorcycle parking spaces in the upper lot went previously unused, and unnoticed. Now, they are regularly being utilized by these riders, and there may be more spaces to be filled by those who are willing to start riding.

Senior Kaden Koddington also rides and has a special history with the sport.

“Both my parents rode motorcycles, so it was only natural that I begin riding [motorcycles] too. I like going for night rides. You get to take in the breeze, you know? It’s very relaxing”.

He started riding about 1 and a half years ago, and he too has some tips for those that are looking into riding.

“Take your safety classes. There’s a required class, but there are also more classes that you can take afterward that definitely help you with safety and efficiency on the road”.

“Don’t do anything that will put you in danger. If you’re not stupid on the road, you won’t hurt yourself.”

JamoApr 26, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Yeahhh more kids die from driving actual cars then from motorcycles, don’t hate . Tylor? thats gotta be a typo lol

• T

Tylor TMar 5, 2020 at 12:04 pm

I’m sort of confused as to why a high school news site is promoting high schoolers riding motorcycles. I have nothing against motorcycles, but based on the safety concerns with them, it seems like a bad idea to promote it to a bunch of teenagers. 9/10ths of the article is talking about all the great things, while only one line out of the whole thing talks about any sort of safety concern. It even says in the beginning that “few students have decided to take the risk and start utilizing these bikes,” as if it encourages them to ride motorcycles. It just doesn’t seem very smart to promote this to teenagers, especially since the majority hasn’t started driving yet.

Jamieson MillerMar 5, 2020 at 11:50 am

Yeeeew!! Motorcycles are lit! @everyone