Adam Wakefield: “When You’re Sober” Single Review

Adam Wakefield, the runner-up on season ten of “The Voice,” has released a beautiful single

Adam Wakefield’s vocals brought bright light into the world during his time on Season 10 of “The Voice” and have created a beautiful new field of country music. From his audition rendition of “Tennessee Whisky” to his beautifully self-composed “Lonesome Broken and Blue,” Wakefield dazzled America with his gorgeous country and southern rock vocals.

Although he finished as the runner-up, this Nashville artist has continued to expand his disciples and travel the country sharing his diverse arsenal of music. Live at the Skulls Rainbow Room, he performed a miracle in just four and a half minutes, a piano-styled single, When You’re Sober. Along with his fellow Nashville country artist, Jenny Leigh, the duo constructed an empowering message about the damaging effects of alcohol on a relationship.

The piano somberly opens this emotional piece with plentiful notes surrounding middle C and trails into the opening lyrics, “Three years we’ve been apart now/Two years I stayed away/ From the one I had no doubt/Would still be here with me today.” Wakefield’s stripped-down vocals emphasize the destruction and separation of a relationship involving the abuse of alcohol.

As the first verse transitions into the chorus, Wakefield utilizes more power in his piano playing to signify the buildup of the single’s message. Meanwhile, Leigh’s methodical and smooth background vocals counteract his increase of power perfectly for the chorus’s “Before we dive back into to this/ Saw this sudden all over/ Wait until the morning comes/Call when you’re sober.” This tactic is extremely powerful because it not only establishes the control that the remaining two minutes feature, but it showcases the emotional and intimate connection between these artists’ ability to deliver a more vulnerable part of themselves.

The second verse rolls around with the struggle between accepting the lifestyle of loving an alcoholic or trying to hang on to a relationship that may never work. This conflicting mindset is evident through the words “Every part of this fool’s heart/ Is telling me to say ok,” which also expresses the fear that if the rugged relationship continues, everything will eventually resume to the unmanageable way it is.

The final chorus was the most beautifully styled aspect of the song. Wakefield’s melody becomes slightly different as he utilizes more bars to dig deep into the roots of the emotional power in the final chorus. Furthermore, the vocal connection between him and Leigh in the harmony is brilliantly combined with extra runs which set it apart from the song as a whole.

When You’re Sober is another beautiful example of the elegant artistry within Adam Wakefield. As he has said before on his website and in many interviews, “the country music industry… is ready for a change. And [he is]“going to run with that idea.”