BOYS VARSITY BASKETBALL

Shooting for the Stars

Mar 3, 2020

Head coach Brandon Dowdy strategizes with the boys varsity basketball team at halftime during their Hoopcoming game against Oceanside. The Bobcats lost 66-74.

After an exciting season of dribbling, shooting, and praying the ball falls into the net, the boys’ varsity basketball team concluded their season with a league record of 2-8 and an overall record of 7-20. The team may not have won many games this year but the stats were still impressive. 

Over the past season, the varsity players have scored a remarkable 1,371 points, 812 rebounds, and 217 steals. The top five scorers are listed below:

• Jamie Ellenstein (Sr.): 265 points
  • Zach Chandler (Jr.): 214 points
  • Andrew Schmitt (Soph.): 163 points
  • Keyshawn Higgs (Sr.): 153 points
  • Kayden LeMaster (Jr.): 108 points

In addition to these high scorers, the team had 11 double-doubles. In basketball, there are five statistical categories: points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocked shots. A double-double is when a player gets 10 or more points in two of the five statistical categories.

• Jamie Ellenstein (Sr.): 6
  • Keyshawn Higgs (Sr.): 3
  • Aarya Dessai (Jr.): 1
  • Andrew Schmitt (Soph.): 1

Higgs and Ellenstein led the team in rebounds with Higgs tallying 167 rebounds and Ellenstein falling very close behind with 166 rebounds. While Higgs led the team in offensive rebounds with 68 rebounds, Ellenstein led the boys in defensive rebounds with 104 rebounds. Junior Zach Chandler led the team with 39 3-pointers. 

With the seniors graduating, fresh faces are looking to score a spot on the varsity roster next year.