New 2020-21 School Year Brings New Course Options

Photo by Nadia Razzaq
Course requests forms are in the process of being reviewed by counselors with the students as the 2020-21 school year approaches. The forms guide students to formulate the perfect balance for their needs and requirements next year.

If you find yourself bored by the current classes you are taking and are searching for something new to try, it might be time to look into the new exciting options at hand for the 2020-21 school year.

Course selection for next year is already in full swing with a couple new choices available in the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) department alongside the Mathematics department. The long awaited arrival of the digital photography 2 course and the expansion of the statistics course has been added to this year’s course selection forms for the upcoming school year. 

Digital Photography 2 

Although considered to be an arduous process to add a new class to the mix, teachers Megan Herrick and Cathyrn Burroughs worked diligently to bring digital photography 2 into Sage Creek’s options. 

With the amount of success being seen among students currently in photography, the two decided it was time to bring a more challenging course. Student photographers Kaiah Rivas and Cole Savage’s photography were both featured at the Museum of Photographic Arts down in Balboa Park. Their work can be found in the 14th annual Dreamscape student exhibit. 

Photo by Nadia Razzaq
Equipment and the correct guidance will direct students to find their photography niche. Digital photography 2 offers a hands-on and moreover technical experience in the realms of becoming a photographer and creator.

“We have a lot of students on this campus take photography 1 over and over again and I love that, but those kids need somewhere to go. It’s like they hit a ceiling and their skills are really great but we need to focus and really challenge them so Sage Creek really showcases our talents” stated Burroughs. 

The class is intended to be a challenge to photographers, either with previous knowledge from taking digital photography 1 or personal interests, to grow their knowledge to the technicalities and continuing to find their styles of photography. 

“I am excited for photography 2 because photography is one of my best interests and I am excited to learn more about its rules and photoshop” said freshman student photographer Jacob Fletcher. 

The required prerequisite for students is either having taken digital photography 1 this year or auditioning with a portfolio for this specialty class. Students can prepare online portfolios showing their best work and reflecting on their photography style to show what they have to bring to the advanced class. 

“I’m just really so excited to see VAPA growing and just getting better and better… the course selections are just getting stronger and stronger” remarked Burroughs. 

Additionally, students are also looking forward to the arrival of this 2-trimester advancement in the photography department. 

“I think that it is a great way to encourage more students to take an advanced art course and continue their tracks” included Fletcher. 

Statistics A & B

In addition, Statistics A & B have also been added to the list of courses on the mathematic pathway. Previously, there had not been a year-long path for the statistics course, there had only been one trimester of Statistics A, though a second has been added for the 2020-21 year to give students a more in-depth and complete experience.

The course will introduce concepts such as interpretations data, probability, and statistical problem solving. What sets the class apart is that it will be hands-on with experiments and simulations to add to the learning process. 

Photo Taken From Amazon.com
Statistics is a math interpretation course. The class revolves around real-world situations, making it different from typical math courses.

“You just need to know that statistics is not a traditional math, it is more of graphics and writing. It is a math interpretation course,” said math department chair Sue Woolley. 

Analyzing and displaying data are both effective strategies in a variety of careers such as working in business alongside science programs. Ultimately, learning this skill now will already give you a head start. Statistics A & B will also allow students to dive into the world of going out and finding their own real-life statistics. 

“Rather than just reading about the statistics that someone else has done, you’ll be going out to collect your own data, graphing and analyzing your own data, meaning sports or politics or whatever you are interested in” concluded Woolley.

Statistics A & B serves as an alternative to taking pre-calculus. Pre-calculus will be a class where students learn both California college-level algebra for one trimester and trigonometry for the second. The statistics course is intended to offer an introduction to the world of data, rather than being viewed as a difficult class. Typically, it has been seen that seniors are more inclined to take either statistics or pre-calculus, although the option is open to all who have completed algebra 2. The teachers of statistics A & B are currently believed to be Fredrick Griesbach alongside Madison McLean. 

When you go to meet with your counselor to choose the best route for you next school year, consider adding one of these engaging courses to your schedule to guarantee an interesting year and help you figure out the best course for your future endeavors.