Avengers Endgame Review: A Satisfying Conclusion That Plays Too Safe

Marvel took its biggest risk in 2008 with “Iron Man.” When making the film, no one really knew how the audience would respond or what it would lead to. Even though they had plans as to where the story would go, they never knew that it would lead to where it is today. Now, after 10 years and 21 films in the existing Marvel Cinematic Universe, the story of the first three phases comes to a conclusion in the latest of the franchise in “Avengers: Endgame.”

Photo taken from Marvel Studios website
Robert Downey Jr. delivers his best portrayal as Iron Man in this film. His character was taken on a journey that was both fitting and emotional.

This latest addition was directed by The Russo Brothers, who have previously worked on 2014’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War” and 2018’s “Avengers: Infinity War.” So, how was the film? Is it a fitting conclusion to the Infinity saga? Let’s talk about it.

Without spoiling anything, “Avengers: Endgame” follows up after the events of “Avengers: Infinity War.” Our heroes must reassemble and find a way to avenge those they have lost.

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson deliver their best performances as their respective characters. Their characters are given more emotional development than they’ve had previously; particularly with Downey Jr., who was also the standout of the entire film.

The first two acts built the tone and atmosphere nicely and added a layer of emotional weight, which is something that these films have been lacking.

The direction, for the most part, is solid and locked. They have a clear sense of where they want their story to go and are in full command of the narrative they are presenting.

Photo taken from Marvel Studios website
Chris Evans puts out his best as Captain America in this film. He was given a journey that came from the heart coupled with some great character moments throughout.

The score is one of the best of this franchise and my favorite component of this film. It establishes the more grounded and darker feeling that the film was wanting.

Overall, the ending itself was satisfying. It wraps up in a way that fits for the narrative and is earned as well.

Other than that, the film has a couple of issues.

The first of which is that it plays itself extremely safe. A lot of events that happen throughout are ones that many would come to expect rather than be surprised by. It’s not to say what was presented was necessarily boring or bland, but there were huge elements that were executed in a way that made it seem more obvious than surprising.

Photo taken from Marvel Studios website
“Avengers: Endgame” now holds the highest opening-day record of all time. The previous record holder was 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

There are certain emotional aspects, presentations of particular characters and plot devices that didn’t sit well with me. Because of this, I found myself in a blend of both emotion and frustration.

The third act was a bit underwhelming. While it’s a visually entertaining part of the film, it’s the weakest in terms of storytelling. It goes for an approach that would have worked better if placed at a more proper time. The approach, unfortunately, was more disappointing than exciting. The ending itself works very well. It’s what comes before it that I take issue with. In short, the direction of where the story goes in its third act is one I was disappointed by.

And lastly, the film didn’t know what type of pace it wanted to take. There are times where it chooses to be slow and fast. It never knows what pace it wants to maintain throughout.

“Avengers: Endgame” is a conclusion that works to a point. It establishes a nice foundation in the first two acts but ultimately goes for the safe route rather than a more fascinating approach. However, the ending itself works and wraps what was the journey of 10 years of these beloved superheroes.

“Avengers: Endgame” Rating: 7/10

• S

Sammy MendezOct 3, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Where was Batman? Disappointed 🙁

Andrew EmdeMay 6, 2019 at 12:25 pm

I think Thanos is a well made and written character. I just think many of the things from this movie were predictable and I think marvel should of done things that people did not think were going to happen.

• D

Darius RahmanianMay 5, 2019 at 12:53 pm

IW is better paced than Endgame, Endgame nerfed Thanos’ character, time travel was really dumb and could have been resolved in 30 minutes instead of an hour, Captain America has an unsatisfying ending. However waiting 11 years for that battle scene was worth it. All together, Thanos deserved to win in IW, Thanos did nothing wrong, and Thanos is inevitable. The Avengers could not live with their own failure, and where did that bring them? Back to Thanos. In time you will know what it is like to lose, to know so desperately that you are right but to fail all the same. Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives.

JoeyMay 1, 2019 at 2:28 pm

I agree with everything you said however I don’t think playing it safe should make the otherwise great movie a 7/10 I was thinking more of a 9/10 ish.

AndrewMay 1, 2019 at 1:05 pm

I completely agree with Chris on his review of this movie. They really played it safe and I was hoping they would do something unexpected. Although, I think Captain America should of been the one to wear the gauntlet to kill thanos. I cant wait for marvel phase four and I hope marvel implements many of their comic villains. Great article Chris.

• M

MikeyMay 1, 2019 at 8:59 am

I usually don’t use the comment section for anything besides reading comments and simply having a laugh. However, this movie does not deserve a 7/10 rating. The movie was an insane roller coaster of emotions and its box office sales speak for themself.