Femineers Gives Girls S.T.E.M. Opportunities

Femineers brings young girls together to show off their talents and skills in S.T.E.M. Informational meetings will be March 8, 15, 22 and 26 at Carlsbad High School in room 6102 from 3-5:30 p.m.
Photo taken from College of Engineering

According to SWE Research in 2014, 7.9 percent of engineers were females compared to the 26.9 percent who were male engineers. Femineers is about a group of girls showing off their projects that are based on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (S.T.E.M.).

Femineers brings young girls together to show off their talents and skills in S.T.E.M. In Femineers, they listen to different female engineers and learn things about their life as an engineer.

On April 12, the group will go to Cal Poly to learn to adapt to real-world applications. Other informational meetings will be March 8, 15, 22 and 26 at Carlsbad High School in room 6102 from 3-5:30 p.m.

Sage Creek sophomore Chrissa Feldmann showcases her robotics skills in Femineers.

“I thought it was a good club to bring a lot of women in our school together who want to pursue a career in engineering and learn a lot about it and to represent our different paths,” Feldmann said.

Sage Creek computer science teacher Dr. Saied Moezzi is the Femineers advisor.

Femineers acquire the technical knowledge and practical skills necessary to become confident

— Dr. Moezzi

“The Femineers program was created and funded by Cal Poly Pomona (college of engineering) in 2013, it was created to inspire additional females to pursue [S.T.E.M.],” Dr. Moezzi said, “I really want the females to participate in very creative hands-on activity that teaches them some of the key skills that engineers [need].”

Senior Bella Eiler feels that Femineers is a strong program in the world of S.T.E.M.

“Femineers is women being empowered in S.T.E.M. I would say us going into the workforce and making up for the lack of female engineers,” Eiler said.

Dr. Moezzi feels like the benefits of Femineers goes far beyond being creative.

“By engaging with real-world applications, Femineers acquire the technical knowledge and practical skills necessary to become confident and strong in their future careers.”

Josh HamiltonMar 7, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Diego this is most likely pulled from a study showing the plurality of jobs (which is a comparison of several groups rather than comparing 2 or 3) instead of a simple majority. This most likely means that there were several more categories that weren’t sorted by gender in the study. I get that the point is to get more women into S.T.E.M. focused jobs due to the same website I mentioned that did the analysis shows a significant amount of women actually leaving the engineering industry even before they finish college. Why women are losing interest in S.T.E.M. fields but at the same time are advocating for more women in S.T.E.M. fields is unknown to me. I’m guessing the programs are more geared towards stopping that loss of interest. I’m not saying we shouldn’t keep doing this, but it is happening to men too, just to a lower degree. There should be loads of opportunities for both genders to get interested in S.T.E.M., some people just need a little more convincing.

• D

DIego PeraltaMar 7, 2019 at 9:01 am

How are 26.9 percent and 9 percent equal to the total number of engineers, I think the math might be a little off there but who am I to say. Also why not create a non- gender selective club that is tailored to both genders.