From Bobcats to Hornets

Soccer Players Committed to Play at Sacramento State
Photo by Lilly McCoy
The team huddles before the game to discuss strategy and motive their teammates. On Dec. 18, boys varsity took the win against Fallbrook 4-3.

It’s the start of the first game of the season. The whole team is in a huddle as Jett Trask says “we can go home, but we won’t.” The opponent is watching as the team yells “BOBCATS” and runs onto the field. The energy from the players makes anyone want to get up and join them in the first match of the season. Team captains Titus Washington and Jett Trask lead the charge as the game begins.

Sacramento State has signed seniors Titus Washington and Jett Trask to play for their men’s soccer program. Both Washington and Trask have been playing soccer for Sage Creek since freshman year and are currently the varsity team captains.

Photo by Lilly McCoy
Titus Washington and Jett Trask walk onto the field ready to secure the win against the opposing team. Their next game is Tuesday, Jan. 15 at Oceanside high school.

“When I got the actual offer, I was super stoked,” Trask says, “It was my first D1 offer, so I was really happy about it.”

Trask is both a leader and an outstanding player. As a team captain, he not only motivates his teammates but also encourages them to enjoy their time playing the sport. SCHS athletics has paved the way for Trask to reach his goal of playing at a Division 1 school.

“[Sage Creek] definitely helped me out a lot, I feel like I grow every single high school season and improve, and I love my team and my coaches,” Trask says.

Being able to continue playing together in college is what really makes this commitment special for both Washington and Trask. Last season, Washington and Trask helped lead the way to a CIF San Diego Sectional Championship.

Photo by Lilly McCoy
Varsity team captains Jett Trask and Titus Washington lead the team in a warm up to prep for their game. Trask and Washington have been team captains for two years in a row.

“I’ve been playing with him for like four or five years now so it’s nothing new but I’m excited to keep playing with him,” Washington says.

Washington is not only a team captain for the team but has also played for LA Galaxy SD Elite as well as the San Diego Surf.

“We’ve been playing with each other since we were thirteen, so we’re really excited to keep playing [together],” Trask says.

“They’re really good leaders, their serious and fun at the same time,” Senior Beck Rinks says, “It’s not all fun and games, but at the end of the day they are trying to get the win and that’s what matters the most.”

Photo by Lilly McCoy
Preparing for the game, Titus Washington makes a play to secure the ball during practice. Washington is a forward on the varsity team.

Although Rinks has only played with Trask and Washington for one year, they have made a strong impression with their leadership and overall love for the sport.

With Sage Creek soccer continuing to grow every year the team is becoming a very intimidating rival for their opponents.

“I think that the soccer program as a whole is one of the best sports programs [at SCHS],” Rinks says, “It’s cool seeing how the program grows like I feel like our freshman are gonna be really good when they’re seniors.”

The boys soccer team has a very promising year ahead of them. Washington and Trask are ready to start their college education, however, their legacy will stay on the field forever.

• L

Lisa PerkinsJan 11, 2019 at 11:10 am

Great article and awesome photos!