Lady Bobcats Hungry for Success

Junior+Claire+Perhach+blocks+an+opposing+player+as+she+goes+up+for+a+layup.+Perhach+is+a+vital+part+of+the+defense+providing+a+strong+presence+down+low.+
Photo by Nolan Barry
Junior Claire Perhach blocks an opposing player as she goes up for a layup. Perhach is a vital part of the defense providing a strong presence down low.

As the new season starts, the Bobcats look to improve on their past year’s accomplishments. Not only is this the first year of varsity basketball for many, but this is also their first year in their new league.

With only four returning players, the team has added many new recruits who are ready to contribute to the team’s success.

“The new additions are hungry to make an impact right away. Their efforts and energy will bring much success to the team,” Head Coach Nigel Cabral remarks.

Along with the new additions, the team is also adjusting to a new league. In past years, the team has competed in Avocado West, but this season they have switched to Avocado East. This new league is an opportunity for the team to grow and showcase their abilities against new competition.

Photo by Nolan Barry
Coach Nigel Cabral speaks to his team in between quarters. This is coach Nigel’s second year as varsity head coach.

“Our team goal is to win the Avocado East. It’s doable if all 10 players buy into the system and play together,” Coach Nigel emphasizes, “Only way it can happen.”

With a new league, and for the most part, a completely new team, there will definitely be adjustments for not only the team but for individual players as well.

One player who looks to adjust to the style of high school basketball is Freshman Christa Prvanov. Having played since second grade, Prvanov is already a developed player, however, the style of high school basketball is different than anything she is used to.

“The pace is a lot faster and I’m not used to a shot clock because there is no shot clock in middle school,” Prvanov explains.

Not only are incoming players adjusting to the challenges of high school ball but they are also trying to gel as a team, as most of them are primarily new players.

Our team is trying to adjust playing with each other.

— Coach Nigel

“Our team is trying to adjust playing with each other. There will be an adjusting period but the team has all the makings of an extremely competitive team,” Coach Nigel states.

Helping the team through these adjustments are the captains: Sydney Tomaneng, Claire Perhach and Brooke Vinzinski.

Tomaneng embraces the challenge this year offers.

“I like being a leader. It is nice getting to know the other girls. They are all super hard working and are really good teammates. It’s easy to lead them.”

Photo by Nolan Barry
Sophomore Kami Zablan goes for a loose ball. The Bobcats made a comeback, however, they fell to Tri City Christian by three in their first game of the year.

Not only are junior captains Claire Perhach and Sydney Tomaneng good teammates and strong captains, but they are also strong players, leading the team in scoring, rebounding and assists.

“Sydney and Claire bring a lot of value on and off the court,” Coach Nigel highlights.

With the full support of their coach and the stats to prove it, junior duo Perhach and Tomaneng are definitely a force to be reckoned with this year.

Through the strength of their captains and their second-year head coach, the Bobcats look to improve on their past year’s marks.