I Fell Asleep Listening To This: Quavo Huncho Album Review

Photo via iTunes
Revealing Quavo’s face with nature, we see a very unique and artistic cover from an average rapper. Although the cover looks very special, the album was anything but special.

Quavo’s first solo album is here, nobody asked for this but it’s here. After looking at it’s unique and artistic album cover I said to myself, “Hey, let’s just give this a shot, he might surprise me,” and to be honest— I didn’t even see this was being released until hours before it was. I listened to the full duration of the album and I was met with pretty much what I expected, the same thing we have all heard from Quavo’s solo work, boring, repetitive and barely interesting enough to maintain my interest.

I don’t know if any of you have caught on, but Quavo has a lot of features. So much to the point that in 2018 alone, he has had over 30 features, if we are including the Migos as a whole. Coming into a solo Quavo project, I was anything but all ears, I did not expect anything great. Not to anybody’s surprise, this album clocks in a little over an hour with 19 tracks which is nothing new. For example, his group Migos dropped Culture II which had 24 tracks which equaled about two hours of music earlier this year. Now take a guess, how much quality and diversity was on this album?

Ding Ding, it was horrible. A solo Quavo project is something nobody has been asking for, merely because he is the weakest of the Migos, and lyrically, he doesn’t really shine which makes almost every feature or song he’s on bland. All across this project, we are met with some mediocre trap beats and boring Quavo verses. The features here, for the most part, are good, especially on the song “Lost” where Kid Cudi performs somewhat well over some generic trap beats.

Although this project is full of nothing, I can appreciate that Quavo dropped his auto-tune for most of the duration, which I give him respect for. The song “Huncho Dreams” is supposedly Quavo’s response to Nicki Minaj on her song “Barbie Dreams” where she name-drops. Again, the instrumental is minimal and you’ve likely heard this before, but Quavo had some clever lines like “Nicki do you love me? Why you crying?,” a shout out to the infamous bar on “In My Feelings” by Drake. The intro track “Biggest Alley Oop” has some nice background humming to Quavo’s rapping which I actually really like. This is one of the very few places he has some versatility on the beats that complement his voice other than mindless trap beats.

It’s also incredible how great Quavo’s artistic direction is to put the track “F**k 12” on track 11, which people will say it’s a coincidence but he clearly meant to do that. On the first run of the hook Quavo just repeats “F**k 12” 46 times, that’s not a typo. The sad thing about this project and most of the Migos projects is that there are just too many tracks. Quavo could have easily brought the number of tracks down to 12 but you know, gotta get that bag.

The entirety of the project feels like I’m waiting for features such as Travis Scott or Kid Cudi to show up because listening to Quavo alone is just miserable. There’s nearly no lyrical substance, this album is just merely background music. This all feels just like one long song, and even when we get to the features, they blind us from the boring and drowsy voice of Quavo for a short amount of time.

I hope this is a wake-up call for this drawn out trap-style in hip-hop. We already have this new wave of rappers like Lil Uzi Vert, Juice Wrld or Trippie Redd carrying the torch for this ‘Emo rap’ and cloud rap, and I feel like in another year or two that we are going to see the end to this style of boring triplet flow rapping. I not only hope this is a wake-up call for Quavo and other ‘mumble’ rappers but for the new wave rappers to see that they need to invite, create new sounds and keep them interesting so it doesn’t get drawn out in this extent.

I challenge any of you to get through this dragged out and flat-out uninspired excuse for an album because it was difficult for me. Not to say that this is a disaster of an album, this will serve for background music to parties but other than that it’s a completely dull project. I’m feeling a 2/10 on this one because of the extreme lack of versatility, originality and how this struggled to hold my attention for nearly the entire duration of the album.