Mac Miller is Human, So Are We

eloved+rapper%2C+Mac+Miller%2C+singing+to+his+fans+with+gratefulness+in+his+eyes.+Miller%E2%80%99s+death+has+hit+society+hard%2C+knowing+that+they+won%E2%80%99t+get+to+see+him+on+stage+ever+again.+
Taken from fhhstoday.com
eloved rapper, Mac Miller, singing to his fans with gratefulness in his eyes. Miller’s death has hit society hard, knowing that they won’t get to see him on stage ever again.

Another American rapper has fallen into the hands of drugs.

Mac Miller, 26, was found unresponsive in his Studio City home by paramedics, Friday, Sept. 7.

Miller’s death by substance abuse was unexpected. Especially after the comments he made in his 2016 documentary, “Stopped Making Excuses.”

“I’d rather be the corny white rapper than the drugged-out mess who can’t even get out of his house,” Miller said in an interview in the documentary.

When people say something, we tend to believe them. Most of the time it’s not true and more often than not, we also lie to ourselves all the time. So much so, that we forget what is true. The truth that we hide from ourselves is that we have no control. No one plans on overdosing. It just happens. It’s kind of like when you see a chocolate bar in the fridge. You think to yourself, “Oh just one little bite won’t hurt.” But one little bite leads to one huge bite and the next thing you know, the whole candy bar is gone. The death of Mac Miller is heartbreaking, but it is put on a pile of proof that no one-even someone musically talented and rich-has complete control over their life.

The world isn’t perfect. Our society isn’t perfect. We are constantly covered with dark clouds that rain down negativity. Mac Miller’s death is tragic, but it points to a larger problem that our society has dug itself deep in. The media goes crazy when a celebrity dies due to substance abuse, but what about the people the media doesn’t rave about?

Taken from drugabuse.gov
Each year that substance abuse continues, as does the increase of deaths in the U.S. This also applies to those of us who believe we have our life together, because in reality we don’t.

As a society, we are so unaware of how many people actually struggle with substance abuse. The graph shows the power those substances have over us. They control us; and if they aren’t stopped, they devour us.

We are human. As humans, it’s our natural desire to want more and to get more. I know not all of us have dealt with any drugs, but this reaches out to so much that is in our own lives. We think we’re invincible and I hate to break it to you, but we aren’t. We’re all flesh and bones that can be broken down. We all have our weaknesses whether we want to admit it. Once you just get a little taste of something that makes you feel good, wanted, or problem free, we yearn for more. It becomes a larger issue when we don’t realize that it has consumed us. Whether you’ve dealt with something in the past, or even now, I can say with confidence that we will all deal with a lack of control again.

Fellow music artists Post Malone, Chance The Rapper and Charlie Puth are mourning with the rest of Miller’s fans, friends, and family.

“You were such an incredible person. You changed so many lives. Had so much love in your heart. You inspired me throughout high school, and I wouldn’t be where I was today without you. Never a more kind and sincere and beautiful person. I [explicit] love you mac,” Malone tweets, “We’ll make that album one day bubba. Miss you so much.”

Drug abuse doesn’t only affect the person who is struggling with it, but also digs heartache into the people around them. Drugs itself is an epidemic, but it leads to an even bigger plague  of decline in happiness. You may be thinking, “well this doesn’t apply to me ‘cause I don’t take drugs,’” but there are so many habits out there that lead to results similar to substance abuse. Yeah so you don’t take drugs, but what if you best friend does, or your dad? It changes things right? It’s a ripple effect. One thing affects everything around it.

We all know that Mac Miller isn’t the first artist in the music industry to lose to drugs. Fentanyl has participated in taking the king himself, Prince; young rapper, Lil Peep; and the rock legend Tom Petty. The question we should be asking: Who will be next?

It’s tragic that passing due to an overdose is such a normality

It’s tragic that passing due to an overdose is such a normality now. Whether you’re a fan of the music artist or not, a life has disappeared, all due to a substance. As more people are added to the list of death by drugs, no one learns. People express how sad and disappointing it is, but continue to take the same drug that just took someone’s life.

The minute you decided to do something, you can’t go back. Once you cannonball into a pool, the entire pool is no longer still.

Jenny TuckerOct 3, 2018 at 6:55 pm

You did a good job of relating Mac Miller’s death to a severe nationwide issue. I can tell it is your voice through your writing. Great job Natalie!

• B

Ben TraskOct 3, 2018 at 11:03 am

thanks this was a month ago.

Alex EstesOct 3, 2018 at 10:34 am

Great article, glad you could cover this and bring light to drug abuse to students at our school.