Class of 2022 Receive their Own Chromebooks

Stephan Ellingson
A freshman student signs into his newly issued Chromebook. Convenient charging stations were provided in the library for student access.

The Class of 2022 will be the first at Sage Creek to try out the new 1:1 Chromebook program.

In the simplest form, the 1:1 Chromebook initiative allows each student to eventually be given one Chromebook. This program is beginning with the newest freshmen class and with each year the incoming freshmen will follow suit.

With this program, freshmen students will now have access to these Chromebooks outside of Sage Creek’s borders. They will now have an increasing abundance of tools and is meant to increase student’s academic opportunities outside of school and aid in the completion of assignments that they face.

Stephan Ellingson
Vice Principal Robertson reiterates Sage Creek’s core values and B.E.S.T. use practices for the Chromebooks. Students were given the opportunity to ask any questions during this time.

“I am really excited about getting Chromebooks this year at Sage Creek,” freshman, Vishal Jayanthi says, “I can [now] finish my homework when and where I want.”

Having the Chromebooks will give students ease of access to technology at their fingertips, allowing students to skip the note-taking and being able to research immediately.

“I think it’s going to be another tool like a pen or pencil,” Librarian Ms. Asker adds.

The Huffington Post describes the current high school generation as Generation Z. “Generation Z, as they have been coined, consists of those born in 1995 or later. This generation makes up 25.9% of the United States population, the largest percentage.”

Additionally, “while millennials were considered the first ‘global’ generation with the development of the internet, but as more of the world comes online — Generation Z will become more global in their thinking, interactions, and relatability.”

Stephan Ellingson
Freshman securely inscribe their names on their Chromebooks using supplies in the library. Chromebook care and responsibility were highly emphasized during the roll-out process.

Compare this to one generation agoparents of Generation Ztechnology was not yet implemented in society as it is today. Technology did not even exist yet. 

“I had to write notes down in my notebook and do research from books. I didn’t even have the internet, computer or smartphone,” Sage Creek parent, Candace Whitman says.

Sage Creek High School is rolling out over 400 Chromebooks to the freshmen class this week.

For Sage Creek High School, “the Chromebook is the new textbook,” principal César Morales enthused.