Halo Joins the Group of Games to Get Their Own TV Show

Spartan Locke(left) and Master Chief(right) look each other in the eyes overseeing a battlefield with their respective fireteams on each side. The staring suggests tensions between the two which ultimately lead to a battle between Locke and Chief near the end of ¨Halo 5: Guardians.¨

The Halo series, a staple in gaming history, is getting its own TV show. Showtime, the network that brought multiple fan-favorite series such as “Shameless,” “Homeland,” and my personal favorite, “Dexter,” has officially ordered a Halo TV show to premiere in late 2019 or early 2020.

For those who don’t know, Halo is a first-person shooter video game that takes place in an interstellar war between humanity and an alien alliance. This extraterrestrial union, known as the Covenant, worship the Forerunners, an advanced ancient alien race who had mysteriously disappeared thousands of years ago, leaving ring-like structures teaming with life behind called halos.

Nearly one hundred thousand years later in the 26th century, thanks to the United Nations Space Command, or UNSC, humans have managed to colonize many worlds like Earth throughout the galaxy. Tensions later escalate between the older stable “Inner Colonies” and the newly remote “Outer Colonies,” sparking a civil war. The Spartan Program, a group of elite super-soldiers, was made to suppress the rebellious outer colonies and end the war.

Image via Pinterest
The UNSC ship, “The Pillar of Autumn”, arrives at one of the Forerunners’ halo rings. The ship arrives shortly after the fall of the planet Reach using faster-than-lightspeed “Slipstream” travel.

In the year 2525, the Covenant declared that Humanity was a threat to their Gods— the Forerunners— thus starting a holy war. Attacks keep persisting until the Covenant invaded one of the last UNSC strongholds on the planet Reach in 2552. As the fall of Reach is inevitable, Cortana, an advanced artificial intelligence aboard a UNSC ship, selects random coordinates, and when the ship arrives at its destination, a Spartan Soldier named John-117 or “Master Chief,” the main protagonist of the series and person the player takes control over, wakes up aboard the ship; setting the backdrop for the first game that premiered in 2001, “Halo: Combat Evolved.”

Halo’s live-action TV adaptation will take place in multiple locations on different planets throughout the galaxy. While producers have revealed the show will not be a remake of the in-game plot, it will still feature Master Chief as one of the main protagonists in a different set of events never seen before; suggesting that we might see some new faces and characters that we haven’t been exposed to yet.

Image via Halo Nation – Fandom
Super enhanced elite Spartan Soldier “Master Chief” in the midst of battle. This serves as the cover art for the seventh instalment of the Halo series, ¨Halo 4.¨

The show’s first season will have 10 hour-long episodes. Production is planned to start in early 2019 and have a release date of sometime in either late 2019 or early 2020. This is all the known information about the show as of now.

Kyle Killen, executive producer, writer and showrunner for “Awake,” “Lonestar” and “Mind Games,” is an executive producer alongside “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” director, Rupert Wyatt,  and they will be assisting in the directing process as well. The producers have not announced who will be the lead director yet.

“Halo is our most ambitious series ever, and we expect audiences who have been anticipating it for years to be thoroughly rewarded,”  President and CEO of Showtime Networks David Nevies, says in a statement to Imagine Games Network.“[T]he vision of Halo will enthrall fans of the game while also drawing the uninitiated into a world of complex characters that populate this unique universe,” Nevies says.

Rumors about a Halo TV show have been around since 2013, but finally, fans of the game can rest easy knowing that the highly anticipated series will be arriving soon. Hopefully, the show reignites the flame for the game as interest in the franchise has fizzled out over the years. It may even get newcomers involved with Halo’s compounded, yet truly epic storyline; bridging the gap between lovers of the games and future binge watchers, all while bringing the world a little closer.

Jeff DunhamSep 18, 2018 at 10:59 am

This is terrible. The only good halo games are CE, 2, and 3. 1v1 me I have a CRT we can LAN