The Senioritis Myth

Jeremy Hargrove

More stories from Jeremy Hargrove

Going The Extra Mile
April 21, 2017

Zach Lynch

Royalty-free image courtesy of YouTube user CyberWebFX.

Senioritis, according to Wikipedia, is described as “decreased motivation toward studies displayed by students who are nearing the end of their high school, college, and graduate school careers.” Senioritis, according to my diagnosis with this “disease,” is the time in a high schooler’s life where they finally take the break they’ve so rightfully earned.

Students of Sage Creek work hard. Correction, they work painstakingly hard. Students of Sage Creek work their fingers to the bone for three years and two trimesters in the pursuit of a passing grade. However, teachers begin to quake in their boots at the idea of that third trimester. Why? Students are finally taking some time to just relax and be high school students.

Seniors are simply taking some time to live that “high school experience” that every 80s and 90s movie told us about. However, in a world of Breakfast Clubs and High School Musicals and the occasional Carries, we’re taught that it was all a sham; an elaborate ruse. The poor seniors of SC have been prescribed a disease by snake oil salesmen; there is no rest, there are no high school shenanigans, you work, you work for money, then you die.

But it doesn’t have to be like this. It’s not too late to enjoy the life of a Californian youth. We have the power to make the change. Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you may be told it’s wrong. California is a mecca of entertainment. Anything and everything is here, from food to movie theaters to food to parks and beaches to food and food and food. The United States is seen as an international “melting pot,” and this is exemplified in California’s foods. However, if you don’t want to spend all of your money on food, spend all of your money on knicknacks or clothes down in the Carlsbad Village. Southern California is the place where teenagers can have their 80s movie moments. From a walk on the beach to Simple Minds in Oceanside, the world is your oyster.

However, according to the eyes of a high school teacher, Sage Creek students have a shellfish allergy. Why dares to enjoy the sunshine and the beauty that Carlsbad has to behold? There is schoolwork to be done! Analyze the same quote that you analyzed yesterday, speak to the front of the class again, run around in a circle until you pass out in the final period of the day. Be warned though. The moment your eyes close, the grip of Senioritis tightens around you and squeezes any willpower you may have left in your feeble, atrophied body. Fear not, your teacher will be the first to tell you that you’ve been hit by the virus and 50 ccs of classwork will cure you. You may not be able to function as a human being, but you can function as a student, and that’s the only thing you need to live a fulfilling life.

Take your breaks. Enjoy time away from school because it won’t always be like this. Managers are much less lenient when it comes to truancy. Take a step outside, enjoy the rays of sun on your skin, grab your friends and go out. Go on an adventure to who-knows-where and be sure to make as many pit stops as possible. You’ve earned the break, fair and square. If you’re a freshman, however, toughen up. You’ll get your time out in the sunshine.