Reflecting On Start to Finish

Top view of students enjoying their time at lunch.

As the first ever class of Sage Creek reaches the end of their time here, many have grown and changed their views on what Sage Creek has become, from the good to the ugly. Today we show what the seniors think.

Many students of the class of 2017 were interviewed to get a broad depiction of senior’s thoughts on whether or not  they have enjoyed their time at Sage Creek and the changes that have occurred. We asked them whether or not the first class of Sage Creek became what they envisioned.

The first theme that arose from various seniors on Sage Creek  appeared to be based on whether they chose to attend Sage Creek or not.

“My parents thought Sage Creek was the better choice for me, so that’s why I went,” ASB President Claire Karaffa said. “I hated it at first, but as the years went on, I grew to enjoy Sage.”

From interview to interview, many of the seniors said their parents forced them to attend Sage Creek.

img_0018-min-compressor-1
Students enjoying their lunch break.

“Many of my friends chose Carlsbad while I was stuck at Sage, so socially it was difficult at first,” Karaffa emphasized, as did so many others. But as the interviews went on, students started to depict how Sage Creek turned to be a better fit.

I felt as if I’ve grown with the school. There is more of a community now, and the power of these students is what makes this your experience,” senior McKenna Foote said.

It seemed that many seniors struggled with the lack of school spirit and enthusiasm in being a Bobcat itself. It appeared as if their whole view started off with a sour taste from being forced to join Sage Creek. But others saw this as an opportunity.

I do like what Sage Creek has become, and I think a lot of people think so as well, but for some reason people think it’s cool to act like they don’t,” senior Josh Ewers said.

It was often shown that yes, it was sucky at first, but many have grown to see what Sage Creek can become and saw that they are the ones to set the tone for future classes.

“It was hard just as the ASB freshmen class for us was started with little structure and was hard to build more school spirit and unite Sage as a whole,” Karaffa said.

The seniors seemed to agree that many didn’t realize that their whole class was going to set the tone for  the whole school and that what they did would represent what Sage Creek was to become. So yes, of course it was hard at first to appreciate Sage Creek. The realization of their actions wasn’t thought of until the later years.

The school was small, so there weren’t many sports or clubs, there weren’t certain classes that we wanted to take either and it felt empty. But now as a senior those classes such as psych[ology], dance, etc. have been established, there are way more people, kids can start their own clubs, there are lots of varsity teams now, and so many other improvements and growth. It feels like a real school now,” Foote said.

The overall depiction from senior thoughts showed that the initial start to Sage was rough, and morale was low due to these conditions. Some are still left with a bitter taste from Sage Creek and its bumpy start, but as the course smoothens, so does their thoughts. To any start, nothing’s perfect, but you can try.

“I don’t think Sage Creek has met its full potential, but I believe we are working up to it” Karaffa concluded.

• M

Mr. CordellOct 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Interesting piece. I didn’t see faculty perspective included in the opinion piece. I shall share one educator’s perspective.

My parents did not force me to move to Sage Creek, but they were supportive and trusted my decision making process.

I literally had to make appointments and buy dinner for my fellow teachers at CHS to have them be my sounding board before I interviewed for my job. I had worked at CHS for 2 years less than the age of our freshman the first year, so it was a thoughtful choice to even consider the move. After I confirmed that I wanted to try for a teaching job at Sage, I had to interview. I was as nervous interviewing for Sage as I was when I first became a teacher 3 months out of college.

I got the job, and 2/3 of the freshman class and I migrated over from the middle school in which we find ourselves before the move.

This guy has loved every minute of the last four years – even the mistakes and misteps. This has been an amazing journey – which one could also call “a trip”. I feel blessed every freaking day that I get to be part of this amazing adventure.

Yes. I was super scared to jump into the unknown too. Sage Creek is and will always be nothing more than a reflection of the people who make up this learning community. I love us!

Mr. R Lewis Cordell