Sage Has Sports Up Their Sleeves

There are many activities and possessions that Carlsbad High School has that Sage Creek High School doesn’t. Carlsbad is well-developed and has been around longer. For instance, they have a football program, whereas Sage Creek is yet to consider having one. However, there are things that SCHS brings to the Carlsbad community that CHS doesn’t, like a field hockey team.

For those who do not know, field hockey is a combination of soccer and ice hockey. The game is played on a field similar to a soccer field and with field hockey sticks and a small ball rather than a puck.  

“It’s a combination of sports I grew up watching and playing and it’s an awesome experience to be able to play a mixture of both,” junior Logan McAndrews says. It’s a great sport that has started to make a presence in the community.

The field hockey team at SCHS is the first in the district and is currently experiencing its first year with both junior varsity and varsity teams. All the players on both teams have worked hard and felt the pressure from being the first team in the district. Despite the pressure, they also feel proud to be on the team and are hoping that the program will expand in the community soon.

“I’m so proud to be a part of the first field hockey team in the district,” said McAndrews. The whole team is proud to bring a new sport into the community. It’s a great sport to learn and create a good group of teammates.

Carlsbad High senior Oshean Lehrmann explained that he “never really thought about it, but the demand for one at Carlsbad must not be very high since we accommodate most sports.”

Carlsbad High and Sage Creek are two different high schools known for different aspects. There are different programs at each school that make it unique and a great school.