Signing Day for Many

Sage Athletes Show Their Stuff at The Hall of Champion
Sports Editor, Drake Benner signs his contract to make it official with Dixie State.

Four Sage Creek students attended the signing party in Balboa Park including seniors: Riley Gill attending Concordia University for volleyball, Lizi Cudal attending Stevenson University for beach volleyball, Drake Benner attending Dixie State University for baseball, and Ariana Granda at Occidental College for softball. There still are a few other students who did not attend the signing event but will still sign, like baseball players Sam Wezniak to Cal Berkeley, and Tanner Blough to Vassar College.

This step in the recruitment process is called the early signing period. The first of two periods in the year, which started Wednesday Nov. 9. This means students from all over the country who have verbally committed to play for a college team, now can get what has been promised for them locked in writing. The end of this period is Nov. 24. That means all students signing must sign by those fifteen days, or wait till the next signing period in April.  

The main ceremony consisted of calling up each high school by name then having each student from their school say their name, where they are committed, and for what sport.

“I felt proud of myself and my peers from my school as we walked up on stage together. We had worked hard to achieve our goals and it felt good to get recognized for it because it truly is something special,” Gill says.

The event was put together very well and looks to be something Sage Creek students to come will look forward to.

“It was so cool to be able to see all of the local teens getting to feel the excitement and accomplishments of becoming college athletes. Signing to a college to play volleyball has been one of the greatest accomplishments of my life, and being able to experience with others in a day was awesome” Gill says.

For many, this is an exciting and joyous time. Sage Creek along with a number of other schools all over San Diego were invited to partake in the signing party held at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park. A signing party is where student athletes planning on signing meet to get publicly introduced and recognized for their commitments. Many names and school get in the paper and the lucky ones get to be on the news.

“I was nervous but mostly excited to announce where I would be continuing my athletic and academic career,” Granda says.

The athletes then proceed off the stage, to the booth where they were sat down to sign their papers and then take lots of pictures with big grins on their faces.

Overall, every student there seemed to be having a great time and it was a day they surely will remember. Be sure to congratulate our soon to be collegiate athletes.

• S

SamJan 14, 2017 at 12:56 am

Double check your tags next time brother

• D

Darius RahmanianNov 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

my boy Drake. Heck yeah