Advanced Theatre Showcase Recap

Elena Trask
Photographer: Elena Trask Most of Theatre 3’s class pose for a group photo after a night of performances.

On Thursday October 20, Sage Creek High School’s Theatre 3 class had their annual Carlsbad Theatre Festival Showcase. Monologues, songs, and scenes were performed with styles ranging from melodramatic to comedic. These performances were part of their training for The Second Annual Carlsbad Theatre Festival on Saturday, October 29. This festival was hosted by Carlsbad High School and was meant to discourage competition between schools and bring in educators to workshop each scene.

This showcase was meant to ease their nerves about Festival Day and learn how an audience would react to their pieces. Each scene was presented with rich emotion and truthfulness. Highlights included “And They Danced Real Slow in Jackson,” featuring sophomores Tessa Grantham, Alexis Petty and Allison Delgrande, plus senior Mike Spettigue. This stand-out group was victorious at CTF, winning a coveted Bright Spot Award.

optimized-6
Jeff Wattner (left) and Jeremy Hargrove (right) performing their scene Ẅhiplash.¨ In this scene, they are having an intense conversation over timing with music. Photo by: Elena Trask

“1984,” redesigned from the classic book by George Orwell, was another intriguing scene featuring juniors Brett Paulson and Max Pedrazzani, as well as senior McKenna Foote. And finally, “Whiplash,” adapted from the 2014 drama film directed by Damien Chazelle, featured junior Jeff Wattner and senior Jeremy Hargrove.

Other Bright Spot Awards on October 29 included sophomore Avalon Greenberg-Call and junior Brenna Hughbanks for “Crime and Punishment,” Ryan Harazim for “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” senior Samantha Bowen for “A Statue Onstage,” and Mike Townsen for “Noises Off.” A big congratulations to Ms. Porter and her Theatre 3 class.