Red Ribbon Week Ignites Drug and Alcohol Awareness

Trees+and+flagpoles+alike+are+equipped+with+velvet+red+ribbons+
Tristan Schwandt
Trees and flagpoles alike are equipped with velvet red ribbons

Expressing a commitment to awareness, high schools across the nation are participating and promoting Red Ribbon Week, a week dedicated to informing students about drug and alcohol abuse.

Edging into the last week of October, the purpose is to enlighten students about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse through sharing of past stories and educational videos. Although the event is widely embraced nationwide, is not required in any way for public or private schools to participate.

The week had many students enthralling others by choosing to wear red to immerse themselves in the theme of the week.

“I think that the spirit of Red Ribbon Week helps students realize that drugs and alcohol are bad,” junior Brian Nelson says. “Just stay in school and don’t do drugs. Nothing ever good happens out of [them].”

Sage Creek High rightfully saw the need to emphasize the importance and spirit of the week by tying red ribbons to trees and posts, placing a captivating wrecked car (with its own tragic story) next to the school library, and reading out loud parts of a tragic story through the intercom each day during fourth period. Mr. Morales’s tone was very serious when he expressed this message as was our vice principal, Mr. Schuveiller.

“For me Red Ribbon Week is one of the more important weeks of the year in regards to being explicit to the students about making healthy choices,” Assistant Principal Mr. Schuveiller remarked. “It’s nice to have a week dedicated to letting those key points sink in and resonate with our students and I think that they did an excellent job on showing their awareness and spirit for the week.”

• H

HannahNov 28, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Red Ribbon Week: Stay away from drugs kids
    CA legislature: lets legalize maurijuana–makes sense