Womens Hack-a-thon

Womens+Hack-a-thon

Attention all girls: The campus of California State University San Marcos will be hosting the third International Women’s Hackathon event on Saturday, October 15 from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

This women only event seeks out competitive high school and college students to create an app or website that addresses an issue in today’s world. The women are broken up into teams and are allotted 12 hours to create their app or website and the winning team will get their product published by one of the sponsors.

Besides all the excitement of creating websites, the event serves another purpose: connecting them to success. With women making up only 29 percent of private-sector executives in the United States, companies like Qualcomm try to reach out to young women who are interested in computer sciences.

“Women are underrepresented in the software engineering industry,” computer programing teacher Saied Moezzi said. Mr. Moezzi also notices that throughout his classes, “women are definitely fewer than men.”

Mr. Moezzi firmly believes that events like the Hackathon will show women that there are other people interested in computer programming. “The women’s Hackathon is a space to see others like yourself… how they learn,” Moezzi concluded.

This encouraging environment will welcome women of any range of experience to learn and thrive in computer programming. Sign up today if you’re interested!

• J

Julie BennerNov 6, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Nice story.